Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Whoa Doulas are $$$$ eh!

Wow I guess I never really thought about how much a Doula would be.

Well I contacted one yesterday to see and wow they are expensive eh. It would be 450.00 that's for 2 prenatal visits and then the labor and delivery. With my 2 hours of labor and delivery history that's a lot.

That's wayyy to much for me. I'm sure it's well worth it for those that have them and I am sure that for what they do it's reasonable I just can't afford that.

Thank goodness I contacted our Chaplain to be our emergency person and she emailed today to say no problem.

Is this a normal price??

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whoa Doulas are $$$$ eh!

It depends on the experience level of the doula. If i were to charge it would be about 200 bucks. But i dont. There are many doulas who dont charge becasue they need the births to get certified.I wouldlook into that. A doula trainer would know of uncertified doulas who dont charge. or charge very little.
Sorry she was expensive. i know a doula around here that charge over 700 oer birth. but i could NEVER seeme chargingthat much... I am free. If you lived here. I wouldbe your doula for free too
Old 10-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's sounds about right though most work on a sliding scale I have been told. I paid $500- worth every penny and I would have done it again in a heart beat but she told me if I couldn't pay that she would work on whatever we COULD pay- she just expected the couple to be honest. I don't think $450 is unreasonable at all.
That said....
check out this website:
http://www.bellywomen.net/

It's purpose is to connect women who need a laboring assistant/doula for free... or a minimal fee.

HTH!

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure it's well worth it for those that do it, I am not denying that, I wasn't trying to say it wasn't at all.

I just think it's high personally.

Plus the fact that I just don't have that kind of money to have someone be with me while I give birth.

If I did have that money I could fly my Mom & Grandmother both her to be with me for the birth which I would much rather spend the money on but that's just me.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anyway I have our emergency person now to be with the baby so my DH will be with me and he is all I need.

Seriously I know that a lot of husbands are not really that great in the delivery room but my DH was AWESOME with DD and if DS goes as fast as DD did then all the better.

2 hours for DD is from start, being home and water breaking, to when she popped out at the hospital so not long at all.

I think I'm also more comfortable with someone I know being with me than someone I don't know, if I was in a pinch though a Doula would be fine with me rather than be alone, the nurses also that I had with DD were wonderful I have to say and were with me the whole time.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama- I didn't mean it to sound like that....
I just was replying because based on my quotes and what I paid that sounds about right.

I am glad you found a solution that will work out for you too...
Also, might I add 2 hours start to finish, man I am JEALOUS. You are born to have babies
I won't go into my labor...

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningdiva View Post
Mama- I didn't mean it to sound like that....
I just was replying because based on my quotes and what I paid that sounds about right.

I am glad you found a solution that will work out for you too...
Also, might I add 2 hours start to finish, man I am JEALOUS. You are born to have babies
I won't go into my labor...
I just wanted to make sure that my post didn't offend any Doulas out there.

I know they are great for those who get them.

I am starting to wonder if I was "Born" to have babies too. Both of my pregnancies have been pretty much uneventful also no morning sickness no anything that you normall get when you are pregnant. It's weird really. It's just like 9 months of everything normal just a big basketball belly and a little one moving like crazy in there.

They have actually warned us that this baby could go even quicker than DD They warned us we could have the baby at home DH was a little freaked so anytime I move now at night he jumps. LOL

I would LOVE for it to be 2 hours or quicker honestly. It was a HUGE amount of pain right away and full on but it was 2 hours then done I can handle that.

Going natural again too. LOL