Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Recommend a detergent pls!

Hi! New to CDing, haven't even started yet! We have 2 FB's coming with us. Trying out a couple different people's inserts (Nicky's and Nurtured Family). I have a front loader, and we have hard water. With these two things, what kind of detergent should I use? For our clothes I just use the Tide Original Scent HE. (High Efficieny, meant for these washers.) I'm tempted to just use 1/2 the regular amt for dipes, would that work? The advice I've gotten so far is to just do it simple. Use one thing at a time and if you get stink, then start changing your system.

Thanks in advance! I feel like I've spent all day reading "help--stinky fbs!" threads. Hoping to avoid that problem.

Advertisement

aimeemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Re: Recommend a detergent pls!

I use Sun. We have hard water too, but Tide has too many things in it that cause irritation to our family's skin. I use 1/4 of a cup of the detergent and every 3-4 washes, I add just a splash of Melaleuca dishwashing liquid to strip dipes and get rid of any lingering smells. I only own 3 FB, but they don't stink.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I use regular powder gain, ive been cd for 15 months almost and we dont have any build up issues and ive never had to strip my diapers, never had repelling issues either, i love gain.
make sure to never put any fabric softener or detergent with fabric softener in it already anywhere near your diapers
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

That link tells you what is good for different diapers. Color coded and easy to follow.

I use pockets only.

For pockets that site recommends:
Sportwash (hunting section at Wal-Mart 18 lds for $3.84?)
Sun (detergent section at Wal-Mart $2.24 box powder)
Wind Fresh (Sam's - huge container powder)

Sun & Sportwash are what I use. One full capful of Sportwash no matter the size of your load. They'll smell like pee after washing if you use less. It washes clean even if you use 4x the recommended amount.

Sun has brightners in it and another site I went to said if the detergent says "brightens, whitens, or stain fights" it will cause build up or the enzymens in the "stain fighting" chemicals will/can cause diaper rash/sores on your baby's bum. (Era gave my son sore's on the tip of his private).

DO NOT use vinegar if you have hard water or sun dry your diapers. I have read other mamas posts saying it made them stink! Something in the vinegar reacts with the hard water and sunning.

I don't have a front loader so I cannot help there but hopefully you can make a decision from the website above or from other mamas advice!

HTH!

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!

Last edited by Bare Bottom Gear; 05-09-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

Another lover of the Sport-Wash!!!

No vinegar here with our hard well water. We get the stanks!!!!
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Sportwash. I couldn't find it in any stores so I ordered it online from www.atsko.com
Old 05-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Definately staying away from vinegar, as much as I love it! I will see if I can find Sun, I've heard it is pretty cheap. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #8
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've got the stuff from Sam's. It's like 40 or 60lbs for 11 bucks. Will do 160 regular loads of laundry. Usually cheap stuff is good because it doesn't have the enzymes or the brighteners that'll cause buildup. And...it's cheap!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Oh I forgot about the Sam's stuff. Hmm maybe dh will have to come with for that trip, not sure I can lift 40-60 lbs in my cart while wearing a baby lol! That is really cheap! But...not sure if that would be safe with our front loader, the guy that came out here to service it said not to use any detergent that is NOT High Efficiency. (HE)
Old 05-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

I have a Kenmore HE3 Frontloader and have *never* used HE detergent with it, and it's been fine .

For diapers i use Charlie's Soap, 1/2 Tbsp of the powder. For some reason the Pinstripes and Polka Dots website doesn't list it, though it's recommended on other sites (http://www.sunshinediapers.com/u_detergent.html).
Raquelita is offline   Reply With Quote