Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Napping At Daycare

Hi mamas,

I was wondering what kind of experiences you have had with your babies ( 0 - 12 months) napping at daycare. I've heard some horror stories about babies not napping at all or very little at daycare and I am worried that my little one won't either. He only sleeps if he's swaddled and takes all his naps in his crib. Any experience and advice you could share would be very much appreciated. My little one is supposed to start daycare in 2.5 weeks.

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Napping At Daycare

Mine starts in 2 weeks too! My doctor said that baby will actually want to sleep during the day to tune out new experience and plus baby will want to interact with you at night more than usual and therefore sleep all day.
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
youreyesxonmine
Registered Users

I don't have babies yet, but I've worked in childcare for over 3 years, and in my experience, the first couple weeks are a little hairy with napping, but as the routine becomes more settled, napping should return to normal as well. I'd say show your providers how to swaddle your kiddo and see if you can get a white noise machine to put near his sleeping area, if you're concerned about noise.
youreyesxonmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
sarahrichardson
Registered Users

I worked in daycares during high school and college. I would say most babies slept. If it's a good place, they will listen to what you say and do their best to help your LO sleep. If they kind of blow you off then he may have more trouble sleeping. But give it a week or two before you decide, any time a new child came, even older ones, nap time was tricky.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS nap was one of the top things on my list. It took him about 2-3 weeks to get into a nap routine. Now he naps there fine - he's 2 and have always only nap in his crib at home or portable crib when traveling.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, mamas. That's very encouraging. I've had sleepless nights over this already! If I have a time frame to hold on to (I'll give it a couple of weeks, as you all suggested), the challenge seems more manageable.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
jnicole
Registered Users

My Mood:

All three of my boys have been in daycare. The daycares that we have used let babies (0-12 months) sleep on their own schedule and once my boys moved to the 1 year old room, the whole class had the same naptime and had nap mats. The daycare you choose should have a crib for every baby and the crib should have wheels (for fire drills and such). Your provider should be willing to swaddle you son how you show them but all daycare providers are required to lay babies on their back and they should have it posted in the room which babies know how to roll from their back to their tummy. I agree with PP that it may take a couple weeks. Your daycare provider should have a log of everything your baby did all day so that should help you see his sleeping pattern there. I've been fortunate to have used 2 wonderful daycares for my sons and I hope that yours works out well. Leaving a baby is always hard but if you do your research you will know he is in good capable hands while you are gone. I know I am very particular about my daycare and I will only use one that has video monitoring of all rooms. Well I hope this helps and let us know how it turns out
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

My daughter started daycare when she was 8 weeks old. She has not been a consistent napper, but she wasn't before that, either.

There are some days (usually 1-2x a week) where she doesn't nap at all, then other days where she naps 30 minutes to over 1 hour. It totally depends on so many things.

If she doesn't nap at all at daycare, she'll fall asleep on the way home and sleep for a while there.

She sleeps about 10-12 hours at night and is at daycare from 7:45 a.m. until 2:50 p.m. M-F.

Last edited by MW69842; 07-17-2008 at 05:58 PM.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is a great sleeper (started sleeping throught the night at 5 weeks old), so she didn't have any troubles sleeping at school. Sorry, I'm no help!
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think he will be in good hands at the daycare. I started to feel uncomfortable with the one I had him enrolled in (he hadn't even started there yet, but from my conversations I've had with the caregiver), so I have been searching for another one for the past few days. I think I found a wonderful one today and went ahead and enrolled him in it. The caregiver was very willing to swaddle my baby and was very understanding of his nap needs. She also asked some questions about his current sleeping habits, etc. He will be the youngest baby there and the next older one is already 7 months. Hopefully, he'll get enough attention and enough sleep. He will be there 4 days a week from 7:30 a.m. through 5:15 p.m.