Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Ideas for what to feed a 9 month old.

Well dd had her 9 month appointment yesterday and she only gained half a pound in 6 weeks. I do not think it is a quality issue with my milk, just that she isn't interested in nursing as much anymore. A bottle or sippie cup of bm or formula isn't an option because she doesn't know how to use either one. (we have tired, but she just isn't at all interested in either) She will not eat baby food, store bought or home made. I've tried cooking her some veggies and fruit and leaving them in pieces but she will try one and then gag and spit it out. She will eat raviolis (as long as they are cold ), wagon wheels, fruit puffs, cookies, crackers. I think it has to do with the texture of the food, she seems to want things that are firm and require chewing. I need some ideas for nutritious food that she will actually eat. Does any one know of a recipe for making your own raviolis? I was thinking I could make veggie ones that would be good for her.

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Amanda Lou
Registered
seller

Re: Ideas for what to feed a 9 month old.

I am not sure what else you can feed her, as my DD is just starting solids and really isn't too fond of them. However, I checked kellymom. com, and at 6-12 months, it looks like the average weight gain is only 2-4 ounces a week. So really, she isn't much below that.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about carrots (sliced up cooked)

Umm again I cant think right now and 9months ago was a long time ago for us..LOL (ds is 17m now)
Old 10-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Lou View Post
I am not sure what else you can feed her, as my DD is just starting solids and really isn't too fond of them. However, I checked kellymom. com, and at 6-12 months, it looks like the average weight gain is only 2-4 ounces a week. So really, she isn't much below that.
She is just a little behind, but is a tiny little baby to start with. She is 28in and only 16 1/2 lbs, long an skinny. She has always been a little slow with weight gain, when she was born she was 8lbs 1oz and has just doubled that at 9 months so it is something the doc keeps a close eye on.

I bet she might eat the carrots if I refrigerated them after they were cooked. That should help them to be some what firm again, but not so much that she would choke. It is so hard to find things that she will eat that are actually good for her.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

I would just try and nurse as much as you can. At 9 months, her calories arent coming from the food they are coming from your milk.

As far as 16.5lbs at 9 months, I think that is a just fine weight. I know you said that she hadnt gained much weight from 6 wks ago, but, I dont think shes lagging either.

Some babies are just petite. I know two 4yr olds who are about 25lbs. From 2 different familes. My 4y.o is something like 38lbs(and HE is kinda petite all of his pants are WAY to big in the waist). One of those 4y.o has a sister who is 18 months younger than her and 32lbs.

I wouldnt worry and just try and nurse as often as your DD will take it. Because mama milk is what is important right now.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
Lunaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A couple of months ago I started to make baked sweet potato fries for my son. I'd cut the potatoes up into small strips and coat them in an orange juice / ginger sauce and bake them up for about 25 minutes or so. I'd let them sit out until they were nice and cool (He doesn't take to warm food) and then he'd gobble them up. I still make them a couple of times a week since they were such a hit with him.

Freshly Knit Longies and Custom Orders Available!
Lunaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Hannah's favorite food is grapes (cut up of course). She can eat those like you wouldn't believe. She was behind on the growth scale, too, and as it turned out, she really was hungry. When I started feeding her solids, she became happier. There are very few things that she doesn't like.

If your dd doesn't seem to want food, I wouldn't force it. She may not be ready yet.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Oh, my DD loooooooves grapes too. I really have to limit how many she eats because heh sometimes it makes for some nasty poo

My DD loved food at 9 months and ate pretty much anything and everything - still does. Lean meats (mostly chicken), and turkey, pasta, fruit of all kinds, and she is a veggie FREAK! loves it all.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #9
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Yeah grapes are good. Its something I never would have thought of either but another momma friend of mine suggested it. Also melon fruits like cantelope watermelon and honeydew are good too and bannanas. What about green beans and peas? My son likes to eat green beans! You can also try pasta. I don't have recipe for making my own raviolis though sorry. Hope you can get her to eat something. Oh yeah what about apple sauce? It has just a bit of texture to it.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote