Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Man, why does she have to cry ALL the darn time?

Thanks everyone for encouragment. Its times like these I wish family were close by to help me, even if only verbally from time to time.

I have OFTEN wondered if Emma has a lactose issue and isn't tolerating my milk well. How would I know for sure? I have tried (unsecessfully) to give her soy based formula, but she won't take it. Therefore my experiment has proven pretty inconclusive.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

You would have to cut out milk and cheese from your diet, the milk proteins are transferred in the breast milk.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Have you tried baby yoga? I know it sounds crazy,but it works wonders for our little fussy butt.
I got the book"Itsy Bitsy Yoga"
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisue View Post
You would have to cut out milk and cheese from your diet, the milk proteins are transferred in the breast milk.
I already do this. I havnt had regular dairy in my diet since she was about 5 weeks old.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
Cranberrycove
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I definitely hear you. I am currently almost a week into an elimination diet (the Dr. Sears one). My son was just screaming and I'd had it. I'd already cut out dairy, chocolate and tomatoes and still couldn't figure out what it was. Have you looked into the Elimination Diet? My son is 4 months old, and at his check-up this past week the doctor ruled out all the physical causes so this diet is my last hope. Nothing would calm him before..not bouncing, not keeping him still, not bf'ing, nothing! Amazingly after two days I've noticed a difference. He's still fussy, but nothing compared to the screaming (i think i also have to readjust my bearings to his fusses that I can actually do something anout). This diet is doing amazing things already.
I have a 22 month old toddler and things got pretty, um, not nice, here with a screaming baby and a toddler. I just sat there crying saying there's nothing I can do. I feel your pain! I was afraid the doctor was going to tell me to try formula but I decided to try the elimination diet instead...and go to LL if I needed more support.

Oh yeah...I also wear my son ALL the time. It's like having a pregnant belly with arms and legs! <sigh>

Last edited by Cranberrycove; 10-07-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Cranberrycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #16
rds989
Registered Users
seller

Oh, you poor thing. You most certainly are NOT alone. My dd was like this, and it was incredibly difficult to deal with. Turned out that she had "silent reflux" (does your baby drool, cough a lot, clench hands/feet, turn head to left, scream a minute or two into feeding time, fight being on her tummy?) But she was also just super high-needs, too. Still is - my darling, beloved, and difficult child!!

After about 12 weeks, I called dh at work and said, "you know, I think she might have a personality!" It took so long to show up. Now she's still a high-needs kid (dh said last week that she probably had the lightest case of reflux, but just was just really mad about it!) but is also a total ray of sunshine. We adore her. But it wasn't easy at first!!

Hang in there. It will get better, I promise.

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #17
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom View Post
I have OFTEN wondered if Emma has a lactose issue and isn't tolerating my milk well. How would I know for sure? I have tried (unsecessfully) to give her soy based formula, but she won't take it. Therefore my experiment has proven pretty inconclusive.
That's an excellent consideration! When DD went through her "colic" phase, it was suspected to be silent reflux for a while as she would push away when I was nursing her even though she was clearly hungry, and all sorts of other "fun" things for the psyche. Sadly, that proved to be too much for me on top of everything else and I gave up nursing. But we also ended up trying all different kinds of bottles (she improved with Dr. Browns) and it wasn't until she was switched to a soy formula after a bout of diarrhea at 4 months of age that she finally stopped fighting every feeding, having major gas, etc... all the signs of silent reflux went away. Once she got closer to one year of age, we tried cows milk with her and she ended up being lactose sensitive (can handle small amounts of cheese or yogurt but not large quantities of cows milk products). If I had thought of that back when I was nursing, we probably could have prevented a lot of anguish and heartache on both sides.

I think the Elimination Diet is worth a shot. You have to really read labels of everything you eat though that isn't prepared by you as it's amazing where they sneak in the most unlikely things.

Good luck. It really is rough and hard to get through, but you will get through it.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #18
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

((((HUGS))))

My DD #2 was like that. Besides the fact that I was totally stressed out with 11 1/2 month old and moving 1/2 way across the country. The one thing that would help her was a cradle swing that swung sideways that my sister had. I gladly spent the $$ for one!! She slept in it for 3 months. She did outgrow it by 4-5 months or so. She is 2 now and very sweet!!

DD #3, 7 weeks old, started about 2 1/2 weeks old, very fussy, spitty, gaggy, etc. I elimated dairy products and we have been keeping her upright. She is so much better now.

I hope things get better for you soon! Take LONG walks with her in the sling, better yet, send DH on a long walk with her so you can get some rest.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #19
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the EXACT same problem w/ DS. Goosebumps kinda exact same. I learned through experience and extensive research that babies who are sensitive to dairy aren't lactose (milk sugar) intollerant but milk protien intollerant. So I figured OK no dairy-no screaming--I'll do it. I just started drinking soy milk instead (I actually like it). It seemed like things were better for about 1/2 the day... then SO MUCH WORSE! It was awful. More research... babies who are sensitive to milk protien are also often sensitive to soy protien. No soy milk! It's also in a ton of other things like granola bars etc, anything that say's soy ___ on the package irriates him. Trust me you need to try no soy & no dairy for a couple days. It may not be the issue but it was with us and it's worth a try. Let me know how it goes.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #20
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom View Post
Thanks everyone for encouragment. Its times like these I wish family were close by to help me, even if only verbally from time to time.

DS was a nightmare for the first few weeks until I did an elimination diet and discovered wheat and dairy were off limits for me while breast feeding. He has been a different child ever since. He is beginning to tolerate wheat ,but no dairy still. I keep trying, but each time he screams.

Good luck
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote