Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Best way to serge without serging

I have a project in mind where I basically want to attach 3 layers of fabric together. I know I can sew turn and topstitch but I really don't want to take the extra step, more looking for quick and dirty than professional.

Using cotton/flannel material for at least 2 layers. Maybe fleece for the third, haven't fully decided.

I've read people use the zigzag scissors with flannel wipes and it frays less... would doing something like that then just sewing around the edges work OK? Would the zigzag scissors actually help (I would have to purchase)?

Thoughts or other ideas?

thanks

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best way to serge without serging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I have a project in mind where I basically want to attach 3 layers of fabric together. I know I can sew turn and topstitch but I really don't want to take the extra step, more looking for quick and dirty than professional.

Using cotton/flannel material for at least 2 layers. Maybe fleece for the third, haven't fully decided.

I've read people use the zigzag scissors with flannel wipes and it frays less... would doing something like that then just sewing around the edges work OK? Would the zigzag scissors actually help (I would have to purchase)?

Thoughts or other ideas?

thanks
I would not use Pinking shears unless it was a hidden seam. It will make it harder to zigzag the edge.

Before I had a serger, I used a zigzag and then a straight stitch over down the middle of the zig zag to lock it.

Some machines have an overlock stitch... Check your manual.

IF you are using cotton, you can "rip" the fabric instead of cutting it. Then trim off all the threads from the fabric & sew it. This will make it very straight on the grain and later you will have less issues.

This is not a good picture but it's the only one I could find. It's my DD wearing a prefold I converted before I had a serger. I used Orange thread. They lasted 2 months then she out grew them with no issues.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
chula198705
Registered Users
seller

I made a bunch of 1-layer hemp doublers and re-sewed a bunch of 1-layer cotton flannel wipes using a multi-stitch zig-zag, with the last stitch overlapping the edge of the fabric. The wipes are actually holding up better than the serged edges they came with which surprised me. I had to cut off the edges and redo them when they started falling apart.

Don't mind the sloppy left side in the photo. This is one of the rough first attempts and is one of the only wipes I had access to without waking up the kiddo.

chula198705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Before I had a serger I did a straight stitch seam for the main seam, then did a tight zig-zag over the edge to overlock it and prevent fraying. It worked very well for many years until I bought my serger in 2011.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:24 AM   #6
mrscandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just used pink in shears and zig zag stitched, but am getting a ton of fray on my homemade cotton flannel wipes
mrscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscandy View Post
I just used pink in shears and zig zag stitched, but am getting a ton of fray on my homemade cotton flannel wipes
Pinking shears AND zig-zag? That'd be why. Just zig-zag at a short stitch length will hold up very well.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Try the overcast stitch. It makes a straight stitch and zig zag stitch all at once. You may need to trim a bit of fray off after washing/drying but it won't keep fraying.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Theogirl
Registered Users
seller

I used the overlock stitch for the soaker on some converted prefolds and two developed holes/ frayed in the first wash! Overlock on knits has worked great for me, though. Anybody else ever experience this?
Theogirl is offline   Reply With Quote