Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Teeth and latch

Ever since Elizabeth got her top teeth, we have been having issues with her latch. It's only on the right side with the cradle hold. It's like she's got a hold of it too tight. It hurts so bad and her top teeth have a gap in them and I am getting a little raised spot on my areola where the skin goes through her teeth. How can I fix this?

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
ocanfield
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teeth and latch

I'm having the same thing with my son..he has his two bottom teeth and when you goes to latch on, sometimes he bites down instead and it hurts! My right side had a sore on the bottom, but luckily it went away.

Not sure how to stop it, because he's not doing it intentionally. My daughter did it to get a reaction when she was about 9 months old. It was hard not to give a yell out, but my lactation nurse said the best way is to give as little reaction as possible and just say, "no bite" If they bite down and won't let go, she recommended pushing her little nose further into my breast, or pinching her nose so it makes her open her mouth to take breath and let go. I never had to do this though.

Maybe putting her in different positions so that her teeth aren't always on the same spot might help too. Like laying down one feed, cradle hold the next, football hold the next time.

Sorry if this doesn't help...I understand your frustration though!

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers

Last edited by ocanfield; 07-18-2008 at 07:18 PM.
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote