Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Ladycop79
Registered Users
seller

Horrible work schedule=no available child care

I am so sad and frustrated...

I am a police detective and that comes with a TERRIBLE schedule. To make a long story short- I work 8-4 one week, 4-midnight the next and work a 6 or a 7 day work week. I am "on-call" 24/7 and have courts as well in the morning of the days I work evenings. DH is leaving for Iraq in November, so I will be a "geographically" single parent... I have called aupair and nanny services and they have all told me that it is "illegal" to have some watch a child as many hours as I work. (Technically, aupairs can't because of US. Dept. of State regs...) I can't afford to hire two full time childcare workers (or pay for a day care and then a night time provider...)

I don't want to quit my job. It is my passion and it fulfills me. I just can't figure out how to logistically make child care work. I have taken out ads, listed the position on every thing I can think of but no one wants to work what I need. Any thoughts, ideas? We have no family close, so that is not an option...

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
marquisa44
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Horrible work schedule=no available child care

the only sug. I could prob offer is find a SAHM that is in your area that has room in there home to "adopt" both of you...because you are going to need family pretty soon it sounds. That solves 2 problems...one you haven't realized you had and the child care issue- then you do have "family" around and someone that watch the babe...and the enevitable ear to bend and you support the sahm who probably needs the money

helping you find one is now up to you??? I would like to know how you go about that...check here see if there are any in your area...start a thead asking about moms in your area....then do a little research and a few lunch/play dates......

good luck and bless you. What a honor and a burden (for your heart)
SAHM to 3 girls , wife to best friend, and happy to be alive Afordable NEW wool $10-$15 made from recycled sweaters- completely NEW to bottoms looking foe TB colorgrown flats have for sale wool outfits,Embellished CPFand a 3pc NEW girly wool set
marquisa44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

live in college student at night (only would have to be home when you are out at night )+ home daycare during the day?

let us know what you work out.
Karen
Old 07-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your husband is in the military, don't they offer childcare? I understand military families have a tight knit community and maybe they can offer some help. (Like someone suggested a SAHM who also has a hubby deployed will be very sympathetic to you needs) There is also live-in nannies or SAHM via Criagslist might be willing to work more hours (nannies via nanny agencies so also as long as they are comp appropriately or given other hours off for OT that they do.) Try local mom's group and see what they say.
Also is there anyway you could lessen your work hours or be on-call only 2 or 3 days a week?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

2 things come to mind, the first is an add on cragislist for a SAHM who would be flexible and open to you dropping your DS off at all different hours. Maybe you could pay a little more than the going rate? It seems like there would be tons of people willing to do something like that...maybe you just haven't found the right place to look yet. Do you have a local playgroup? I'd start there by asking around.

The other thing that came to mind would be a live in nanny. I'm not sure how much something like that would cost but it seems like it would be the best solution. Like a PP said, maybe a live-in college student?
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Ladycop79
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

A college student won't work because they have classes and my schedule rotates...

I have posted on Craigslist and only get people coming back with "but I can't work nights." So I posted an ad with just the nights schedule (with the idea that I would have TWO care providers, just on rotating weeks) and no one responded to the night one...I guess nobody wants to work till midnight or possibly later or be "on-call" with me overnight...

As far as the military... They have a child care center but there hours are 6am-6pm and they are an hour away from my house...They also have in-home child care people licensed through them but they are almost all concentrated where Navy housing is, which, again, is about an hour away from where I live. Plus, because my DH is an officer, they price gouge and charge about $300 a week (which is twice the going rate around here...)

My current nanny quit on me this morning officially (I kind of new it was coming, that is why I posted yesterday and have been looking...) so the pressure is on for me to find someone. Once DH comes home next week, he should be home at night until he leaves in October or November. So a traditional day care center might work until then.

Then after that, we are screwed...
Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Hmm...Well since your DS would be asleep durring the night shifts anyway, maybe you can find someone who will just keep him at their house for the whole night and then you could pick him up in the morning? That way they wouldn't really be "working nights" but rather being paid to have an extra child staying over at their house. That might be more appealing to WAHMs. Just an idea...
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

Does the police department have an EAP (employee assistance program). It's part of their job to help solve problems like this. Check with your HR or your union.

I would also look for someone to co-parent with in your DH's absence. You don't need a babysitter as much as you need a co-parent. THis could be another single mom, old lady from church, something like that. You need someone how's going to be as dedicated to this as you!

I say chat with the other military families. I'm sure someone can help you out. Also-talk to your captain/boss. Maybe something can be done with your shift. You never know!

GL mama!
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Momma_Rock
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep looking. You'll find someone. I like the idea of two providers, one for the days and one for the nights. He'll be going back and forth to different providers, but until you find someone who can watch him all the time, I think it's your best option.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try www.care.com Lots of nannies, babysitters, etc.. Full baackground checks, people for all types of situations. We use them for a sitter every once in a while, but they have lots of people who want premanent positions. Also, we live in kind of a small town and there are several people in our area, there are probably lots in yours too. Good luck.