Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Horrible work schedule=no available child care

Also, put in a call to area churches and see if they have a bulletin board where you could post your ad. A grandma-type (with or without local family) may be the way to go. Tell *everyone* you know that you are looking for referrals for childcare and that you have a crazy schedule but you know there is someone out there that is meant to work with your family. Post to craigslist and any other classifieds you can -- and as a detective you know how important it is to run background checks on your final choices

Best of luck. My dad is a retired police officer (did a stint in detectives for a few years and all that) and my brother is a corporal with a local agency. The hours are pretty crazy!

Advertisement

There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
mnmama
Registered Users
seller

Good luck, mama!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 AM   #13
graymojo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know what your dispatch schedule is like, but maybe there is someone on days there that will watch your child at night.

www.turtleheadsteaandcoffee.com
graymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycop79 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
My current nanny quit on me this morning officially (I kind of new it was coming, that is why I posted yesterday and have been looking...) so the pressure is on for me to find someone. Once DH comes home next week, he should be home at night until he leaves in October or November. So a traditional day care center might work until then.

Then after that, we are screwed...
Well at least you have a temporary solution. A lot can change btwn now and Oct/Nov. I found with nannies that they usually want to work ASAP or within the next couple of weeks so it is difficult to look too far in advance. With your schedule a live-in is the best solution - I know its not kosher or legal but many nannies actually want to work more hours and don't mind if you pay well.
It is very common practice among the non-english speaking population. The live-in Asain nannies in SF Bay Area get paid around $1,500-$2,200 (under the table) and they do EVERYTHING cook, clean etc. and they normally work 6 days a wk. They still make 5-10x more than what they could if they live in their native 3rd world country - most send money back home. Of course you'll need to know how to communicate with them.
Also what Au Pair legally should do and what they actually can do are 2 different things. Many Au Pair source themselves after hours as babysitters to make extra. So although the permit is only for 45 hrs/wk if you talk to them, many are more than willing to work longer hours as long as you pay appropriately. Also keep in mind the legality of it and you'll either have to find the individual yourself online or find a person/agency who will "work" with you.
Hope something turns up for you. GL mama.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

There are live in's in my area who speak english and will work long hours as well. Ususally undocumented workers from carribean countries.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #16
Ladycop79
Registered Users
seller

Thanks again for the well-wishes and suggestions...

I would LOVE to have a little older lady or someone that can fix my LO their national foods and help him learn a 2nd langauge. But with DH in the military and me in Law Enforcement, I am a bit nervous about the undocumented worker. Plus, if DH ever want to run for president, we dont' want any skeletons in his closet! LOL...J/K

DS's first day at the day care center went really well...I am thorougly happy with them AND they use our CD's. My only complaint is that they feed the kids some really crap-o-la food- all sugary and processed compared to the homemade organic food he has been eating! I drew the line at the donut holes they feed them for breakfast! OMG!

I agree with the time frame and will deal with the day care center now that DH will be home for a while and have my feelers out in the mean time!

Thanks again- especially for allowing me to vent!!