Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #11
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you wish you had?

I wish I had the sling or pouch from the beginging I didn't get it until she was 2 months old. She nursed round the clock and it would have been so easier had I had the sling or pouch to nurse her in

Advertisement

MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
ailurus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The soothie gel pads..... the best things ever! And that someone had told me how painful it could be (but absolutely worth it!). And just when you think you can't take it anymore it gets better. Nothing beats the satisfaction of looking at those chubby thighs and knowing you did that
ailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
counterGOPI
Registered Users
seller

information,information ,INFORMATION!! research all you cn while you can. i had tons of books and was actually very well prepared..minus the issue of babynot being able to latch b/c i was soengorged..that didnt show up in any of my books also make sure your family is ready and supportive!! i coudlnt have done it without dh!!

IDSO: Ruskovilla and Disana items & hanna andersson play dresses
counterGOPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #14
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
I wish I had the sling or pouch from the beginging I didn't get it until she was 2 months old. She nursed round the clock and it would have been so easier had I had the sling or pouch to nurse her in
i had a sling also and didnt start using till about the same time.

try to find a local NINO group or even a LLL group adn seek help on how to use one from the beg.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #15
heathersgirls
Registered Users
seller

I second soothies gel pads. I found out after my first that I was allergic to lanisoh...Soothies are fantastic! Also know that in the first weeks you will be spending A LOT of time BFing...Have a side table with all of the supplies you might need while you are nursing...Some you may not think of...a snack, a book, diapers and wipes and other diapering supplies, water to drink, the phone...and www.kellymom.com is a fantastic bfing website. You will be great!
Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

I think if I could go back and change things just a little bit I would have gone to my local La Leche League meetings while still pregnant and would have gotten to know the ladies there sooner than I did (I started going when DD was 3-4 months old). They are sooo helpful and supportive and wonderful, I'd highly encourage you to start going to meetings! The support of people who have been there done that is just so wonderful, I just love the leaders and mamas at my group and cant say enough wonderful things about them and how great their support is!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

OMG Do I have to pick one thing???

First one SALINE SOAKS! I knew nothing about them with my first daughter and thanked the lord for them w/my second! You take a nursing pad and soak it in some saline *hossy gave me a bottle for free* and you put them on your nipples for 10 mins, take them off and rinse your nipples. DD had a bad latch and I had very blistered/cracked/bleeding nipples, so these were miracle workers for me!

Second one, Flower of Essence Cream! I felt this was far more soothing than lanolin and lanolin is known for helping along blocked ducts.

Thirdly, Cabbage! When mastitis hit me at about 4 months post, cabbage was the most soothing thing for the blocked and infected milk ducts

And Fourth, I have to emphasize the need for a great support system. With my first I had no support, ended up giving up at 6 months post because I was tired, depressed, etc etc blah blah blah...anyways, w/my second I have joined up in breastfeeding forums online and go to LLL meetings. They really keep me inspired to keep moving along with nursing and that it is OKAY to extended nurse, something that my family thinks is so incredibly weird.

Good luck! We're all here for any questions that come our way!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 AM   #18
garjul
Registered Users
seller

Wow gals..thank you so much, you have no idea how extremely helpful this is. I have't though/heard of many of these things. A table set up is a great idea, I wouldn't have thought to do that, same with soothing sore nipples. Gosh, there is so much to learn. Luckily, I do have a great support system...otherwise I don't think there would've been any hope of me even getting this far with the pregnancy (it hasn't been the easiest one..although, I don't have anything to compare it to, so maybe it's all normal). I'm just happy I seem to have a healthy boy growing inside of me!!!! I can't wait to keep him that way when he comes out. If there's anything else, please let me know. You guys are really great!!!!
garjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:57 AM   #19
apelilae
Registered Users

All the other ladies said it well. I LOVE my Bravado Essential Nursing Bra Tank. I have two and they are a godsend. I strongly recommend them.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #20
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didnt like the lansinoh, I loved the nipple butter. Hated the boppy, a pillow worked better in the first weeks. I loved my electric pump (which is now on sale in the forums) when I was just pumping when I had thrush. I also loved the gel pack soothie things, those were great!!!! And great supportive friends who would come and sit and watch me bf and help out with suggestions! I also love going to the LLL.