Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #21
ailurus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you wish you had?

Oooohhhh....And Lily Padz! Wonderful things, I can't live without mine. And, as others have said, a comfortabe nursing bra. I actually liked tank styles best, or those cross-over, jog bra-ish ones. I couldn't stand anything binding...And I second the saline soaks, one of the best things I did (and you can do it while sitz bathing )

Advertisement

ailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #22
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailurus View Post
Oooohhhh....And Lily Padz! Wonderful things, I can't live without mine. And, as others have said, a comfortabe nursing bra. I actually liked tank styles best, or those cross-over, jog bra-ish ones. I couldn't stand anything binding...And I second the saline soaks, one of the best things I did (and you can do it while sitz bathing )
Do you know what brand bras you get?? Everyone keeps telling me to try one like that but I get to the store and I'm lost on what to buy lol. I'm a 34 D and a lot of times they don't make the sports bras to fit that body type.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #23
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, don't be afraid to use a nursing shield if they give you one at the hospital. I was SO SORE and cracked and bleeding while I was in the hospital trying to learn to BF!! Apparently one of my nipples didn't stick out enough, so they gave me a Medela shield--it's just a piece of silicone that you put over your nipple to help draw it out, plus it protects you while you heal. Every now and again I STILL use it..especially with teeth coming in already.

Buy some Lansinoh disposable pads. I love my cloth pads that have some sort of waterproof barrier on the back (they're hard to find)... but for going out, Lansinoh pads are so discreet (no big circles) and they can hold a gallon of milk.

Good luck!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #24
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Oh yes.. and for just starting out I bought a 3 pack of cheapo sports bras. when your milk comes in and you're still learning about letdown, etc. I changed bras almost every feeding. With a sports bra I just pulled it down and pulled the boob out and over. Now that I'm more of an "expert" (well.. 3 months experience) and my breasts have sort of figured out what size they want to be most of the time I'm all about goign and getting some good quality bras (I still like the cross over kinds for convience) I'll invest.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #25
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I personally wouldn't recomend waterproof nursing pads early on because if your nipples get cracked or blistered they tend to stick, and trust me THAT HURTS! They don't let them get enough air to heal up. I used some plain cotton ones and since I spent most of my time at home those first few weeks, I didn't care if they leaked through...if I was going out I just put pressure on my nipple whenever I was having letdown and that helped occasionally lol.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #26
wahoowhippets
Registered Users
seller

Must Haves for successful breastfeeding (at least I think so!):

Join LLL! The support is what you need most
A high quality double electric breast pump
Lana wool nursing pads! LOVE these and worth every cent!
Nursing bras (I use Wal-mart ones that are nice and stretchy and cheap with mostly cotton in them)
a few good nursing shirts are a help!
Lansinoh on hand
Determination to succeed
wahoowhippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #27
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lansinoh Ointment and put it on religiously!!
I do wish I had Lana Wool nursing pads from the beginning. I used disposable ones with my first ds. With all the money I wasted on disposables, I could have bought 4 pairs of wool ones
Old 10-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #28
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First and foremost cloth diapers!! Those bf poops are runny and the disposibles do not hold them in!! I also second the nursing bras withOUT underwire. The ones with underwire are so uncomfortable. I also think washable breast pads are the best. They are so comfy and you forget you are wearing them. I wish I would have gotten more of these from the start. I have the ones you can buy at walmart. I would suggest getting at least 10 of these total. If you are not going to be with the baby all the time I would definately suggest a good double electric pump. If you are going to be with your child most of the time and just pump for a few occassions than I highly recommend the Avent Isis. It is the best but I do not recommend this for a lot of pumping as it will not keep your supply up. I know from experience. A good pillow (I use the boppy but it was a little difficult when he was small) for support. I can't think of anything else but this has been a lot already. Oh one more thing. Lansinoh (make sure you have some at the hospital) as many have said but you can just express some bm and rub it into your nipple. Good luck and keep us updated when you have your little one.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #29
lombardowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish someone would have told me with my first one that the first six weeks are the worst for breastfeeding. After that it does start getting better. I Love my ELAN nursing pads because they have the lanolin already on them and I didn't have to fool with messy creams. Worked like a dream for me. Good Luck
Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #30
PandaBren
Registered Users
seller

I couldn't have nursed without my breastfriend pillow (the boppy hit my c-section incison).
I also second the cabbage!!! It helps when you get engorged.
I bought a bunch of bravado nursing bras but truth be told the Walmart ones I got (to use until my milk came in and my chest stopped changing sizes) are much more comfy.
The nipple shield. With ODD we had to use it for 4 months until she could learn to latch (she was in the NICU and they gave her a bottle which just confused her).
A water bottle...sounds funny but I kept a water bottle next to wear I was nursing to remember to keep the fluids going.
Hmm..you've gotten lots of good advice!
~Bren

www.hyenacart.com/babydearest
www.TasselsAndTogs.com
PandaBren is offline   Reply With Quote