Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #31
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you wish you had?

You have a lot of advice here and certainly take notes...but realize too that what works great for some (ie...the bobby pillow, certain breast pumps, etc.) may or may not be right for you. This actually goes for all advice you may get. LOL!

My experience- Breastfeeding was truly the ONLY thing that I wanted the most (over cloth diapers, having natural birth, etc.) but unfortunately it we had a lot of problems. My milk supply never fully got established and b/c bf is a two way street, I did everything I could to make it happen- but my body and baby had problems that I couldn't control. I had to redefine what breastfeeding was (in my mind it was only exclusively nursing) b/c it didn't work out that way I wanted it too. Although it's rare to have medical problems, it can happen.

Anyways, my point here is to not give up if it becomes difficult!!! Get a support system established before the baby comes. Check out LLL and I'd also recommend finding a Lactation Consult. before baby comes because it can feel really awkward having a complete stranger grabbing your breasts!!! It helps if you have somewhat of a comfort level already established.

As far as 'things'...

I really liked the tank nursing bras, Lansinoh, and I've heard wonderful things about Soothies but unfortunately didn't hear about them until after my sore nipples healed. Check out www.kellymom.com for a lot of breastfeeding support. It's a wonderful site!

Congrats!!!

Oh- Also I would feel I would be doing you an injustice if I didn't mention this b/c I felt so frustrated (everyone I had talked too told me that it wasn't painful) Breastfeeding can be painful at first, especially if the baby is having latching problems, contrary to what you may have heard. You may or may not experience this but don't be afraid.

Advertisement

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #32
Shawna_L
Banned

The following have helped me successfully breastfeed:

1. Patience! It hasn't been easy. It didn't come naturally. We struggled through the first six weeks.

2. A source of support. Mine was my DH.

3. My Medela PIS backpack. Worth every cent. With car adaptor.

4. Lasinoh. At least two tubes.

5. Lily Padz.

6. Lots and lots of pillows for positioning.

Good luck! You can do it! I work part-time and am also in graduate school...it can be done.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #33
luckyduckies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nipple cream

soothies ( w/o these I would not have made it through the 1st 8 weeks)

a good nursing bra

a good nursing gown/pjs

a sling

a good breast pump

a lactistion consultants phone # & use it.Mine saved me by helping me realize I could nurse on only 1 breast per session & to not hold my breast but to cup it~the reason i got sore & cracked)

nipple sheilds for when they get sore
luckyduckies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #34
garjul
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to say you ladies are awesome!! Again, thank you so much for all the great advice. I know it's going to really help me out!!
garjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #35
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTW, I've heard (sadly not until after number 4) that if you get the Lansinoh and use it everyday for a few weeks before baby is born, it can help prevent some of the soreness and dry-out during the first few weeks of nursing.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #36
jillkuster
Registered Users
seller

I didn't need anything to breastfeed the first time around except lanolin and some breast pads. A few days after having Ariah I was in the grocery store picking up a few items and felt something drip drip dripping onto my toes through my sandels. I looked down and the front of my shirt was soaked. I don't know how people failed to mention breastpads and leaking to me. You'd think with my Mom nursing her 8 kids and my sister's having babies they would have told me to watch for that lol.
I was prepared for sore nipples- and for cracking. They filled me in BIG TIME on that end. My sister's told me it only lasts for a few weeks and then it only gets better. Knowing that helped me to stick it out. I've now nursed all four of my children.
Good luck to you! I hope you find it as rewarding as I do.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #37
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
I was prepared for sore nipples- and for cracking. They filled me in BIG TIME on that end. My sister's told me it only lasts for a few weeks and then it only gets better. Knowing that helped me to stick it out. I've now nursed all four of my children.
Good luck to you! I hope you find it as rewarding as I do.
I was NOT prepared for cracked/bleeding nipples with my first. But you know what, after 28 hours of induced labor w/out pain meds...that was nothing lol. I was prepared for cracked nipples with my second DD, but not 3 weeks of blistering and bleeding!!! Bad latches are NOT fun. But seriously, just remember that it passes and if it doesn't consult with an LC to get the latch checked. LC's will be your best friend when you have nursing issues!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #38
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom View Post
BTW, I've heard (sadly not until after number 4) that if you get the Lansinoh and use it everyday for a few weeks before baby is born, it can help prevent some of the soreness and dry-out during the first few weeks of nursing.
I have heard that isn't true and can actually make your nipples more sore come nursing time. You aren't supposed to do anything to your nipples to "prepare" for breastfeeding. But everyone says different!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #39
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBren View Post
A water bottle...sounds funny but I kept a water bottle next to wear I was nursing to remember to keep the fluids going.
I totally second the water bottle! I make sure I drink a glass or two of water with EVERY NURSING SESSION. I have problems drinking or eating during letdown though, makes me sick
Old 10-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #40
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great advice!!

I think the only thing I wanted to add ... I wish I had once of those mama pads that you can chill for post partum! After I left the hospital, I had no more chilled pads ... I was sad. and in pain. lol If you have a c-sect. though I don't think you have to worry about chilled mama pads.
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote