Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
JDT
Banned

My Mood:
Good News/Bad News - sorry so long!

I was broke and SERIOUSLY down on my luck about 3 months ago. We were living off of 1 income and the bill collectors were closing in FAST! My business went bust right along with the real estate market and I had been looking for steady work for months. No one was calling me back.

I signed up with a million temp agencies in NYC and held my breath. NY is known for having same day/next day service when it comes to temping. Sign up today - work tomorrow. So 6 (or was it 8) LONG weeks went by when I finally got a call to work.

I came to temp for a well known and powerful company in their legal dept. I like working for the head lawyer and it's a good job for me. After a week on the job they offer me a perm full time position. Everything about the job is nice. Nice hours, nice people, VERY nice salary + bonus potential.
=====

I've been here a few months. In my short tenure here my work has come to the attention of the man who's name is on the building. He's a nice guy. I've run into him in the elevator, etc. THis morning word came that he wants me to come and work for him. I'm sure that I can do the job and it would honestly be more money than i've ever made in my life.

Here's the rub:

I'm nervous about the hours and about his personality. He's cool to me now because i'm not a direct report. He's one tough customer! He's incredibly demanding and he wants everything done YESTERDAY. If you've seen "The Devid Wears Prada" that's him. He's a very high profile person. He travels the world, his name appears in the gossip columns, etc. I'm completely flattered that me wants me to be his "first chair." That would mean that i'd be #1 of his 3 assistants. I'd supervise the other assistants and run the office. It would mean long hours and DH could quit working if he wanted to.

I like where i'm at and think that i'd rather keep a "lifestyle" job for now.

So my question is:

Should I pursue the new job as 1st chair and try to negotiate away the things that I don't like. Namely the long hours.

Or should I stay where i'm at in legal.

Or - should I try to negotiate to create an entirely new position that might work for me and the company head. (ie, be the office manager, but NOT his 1st chair)

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Advertisement

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Good News/Bad News - sorry so long!

I would talk to him say this is my deal...take it or leave it
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Negotiate up front, right? Shows you mean business as well.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tell the Donald, You don't think you would be a good match.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Momma_Rock
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make a deal. ..."The Donald" surely not...????
Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenMImama View Post
Tell the Donald, You don't think you would be a good match.
I can't say on way or the other but that's a damned good guess.

There's a part of me that says "absolutely NOT." Then there's the part of me that's not so far removed from being financially strapped. I feel like I need to do everything in my power to shore up my family on the financial front.

At the same time I feel like my kids/DH are just getting used to me working full time out of the house again. I don't want to take more time away from them.

I don't want to be so flattered that I loose my mind and sell my soul.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly if it is a high profile person I'd say forget about it. They may be impressed that you set your terms before accepting the position, but it depends on how far away those terms are from the terms they laid out. If they need someone to work 14 hours a day, and you're saying you will have to stick to 8, I honestly don't they'll budge that much, you know?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(although, having it on your resume even for a short time would better your offers in the future)
Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naivete View Post
(although, having it on your resume even for a short time would better your offers in the future)
THis is one of those jobs where if you work there a year - I could do anything I wanted to. In this company or any other.

Then again - the same is true of the position that I have now. I couldn't have ANY job, but it sure opens a lot of doors.

If I work for the company head for a year (assuming that I survive that long) I could do what I wanted. I just wonder if the sacrifice would be too great.

I should also add that he's been through EASILY 10 temp assistants in the 4 months that i've been here. THey get people in here who are excited to have access to him, but who can't really do the job. I believe that I can do the job, but don't know that i'm willing to.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I believe that I can do the job, but don't know that i'm willing to.
I think this says it all. It sounds like the job will require a lot more than you're willing to give. Jobs aren't always about financial gain and you need to decide if the 14 hour days are worth being away from your family.
txmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote