Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
lovemy3boys
FUN & MENTAL are Fundamental
seller

My Mood:
Help--little black dots in my corn muffin mix??

i'm unsure what to do! they are just tiny little dots.. don't move and don't really look like anything that would have been alive at any point. the box isn't more than a couple months old and the experation date is 2/17/09... but i remember when i was little there were weavels(sp?) in some flour and stuff at my moms.. i just don't know what to do... i can't easily upload a pic to show though. wwyd? make it and eat them or not? and im very weird about my food so it's a hard choice for me to make

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help--little black dots in my corn muffin mix??

Strange...I know there have been little black dots in my banana muffin mix before...hmmm i dunno...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well banana muffin mix should have black spots b/c it turns black ya know? And has spices in it and blablabla. But corn muffin mix isn't usually black. Personally, if it were me, I would toss it. Esp those Jiffy packs because they aren't THAT expensive, esp on sale. I buy it in bulk at Costco (the Marie Callendar kind) and keep everything in Tupperware Modular Mates after seeing a demo about 7 mos after I joined. You just can't fight insects and moisture with anything but a solid barrier like glass or plastic with an AIR TIGHT seal which most store brands don't offer to be honest, not just a sales rep. I saw it when I re-did my Mgr's cabinets and she had weavels (or something NASTY) crawling in her flour even though it was in a canister that was supposed to prevent that from happening. My problem inside my house is usually moisture, not insects. We've ruined boxes of Rock Salt for making ice cream and pasta in the back of our cabinets from moisture and it sucks. You're just throwing away money.

Anyway, back to the point. I've never seen black spots in my corn bread mix, but that's just me. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Keridwen
Registered Users

I just had the same thing happen today. Here's what they said at jiffymix.com:

(My post count is not high enough to post a link but you can find it in the FAQ at Jiffy's website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy's website
What are the little black specks in my "JIFFY" Corn Muffin mix?

The black specks are merely naturally dark pieces of corn where the tip of the kernel attaches to the cob. Every effort is made to remove these particles. It is not always possible to remove all of them.
I thought I would post that just in case people had the same problem in the future and found this thread. Of course, look at the specks and make sure they aren't something else, but it should be fine.
Keridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy3boys View Post
i'm unsure what to do! they are just tiny little dots.. don't move and don't really look like anything that would have been alive at any point. the box isn't more than a couple months old and the experation date is 2/17/09... but i remember when i was little there were weavels(sp?) in some flour and stuff at my moms.. i just don't know what to do... i can't easily upload a pic to show though. wwyd? make it and eat them or not? and im very weird about my food so it's a hard choice for me to make
Is this a typo?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Pauli
Registered Users

My Mood:

If the expiration date is current, I say it is probably what the manufacturer said it is. If it expired, toss it. It could be mold.