Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
reneemomof2
Registered Users

breast milk donation info? - freezer overflowing

Hi Mamas. Any BM donors out there? I'm seriously running out of freezer space. I did a search for banks, but I didn't see any that accepted shipments or at least that said so on their websites. I'm in IL. There's one in IA, but they don't take shipped milk. Please PM me with info on banks if you have any. Thanks!

Advertisement

reneemomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
~EweNeedColor~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: breast milk donation info? - freezer overflowing

pm'd you
~EweNeedColor~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
nemawei
DS Addict!
seller

My Mood:

milkshare.org

nemawei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
nemawei
DS Addict!
seller

My Mood:

If people PM you because they need milk and you don't have enough for everyone - please let me know. I too am running out of freezer space. By the end of next week I will have to throw some out (that or throw some of our food out). Personally, I'd rather throw the food out because it doesn't seem as valuable to me as EBM but DH feels differently.

nemawei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

If you want to try and find someone local, post in the "Finding Your Tribe" section on Mothering.com, and the local section here. That's how I found someone to donate to.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Stupid question, and please don't be offended...but if you accept donor milk, how do you know it's safe for your baby? Do milk banks screen the milk? They'd almost have to thaw to do so, wouldn't they? Do milk banks charge?

I'm struggling with low supply right now after being sick for 2 weeks and I'm BARELY making it through until the next day. In fact, I'm having my mom give DD a 1/2 bottle for her lunch feeding and then immediately following with some solids to help fill her up because otherwise she'd be getting 1/2 milk and 1/2 formula. So, I've been wondering about milk banks lately...

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
reneemomof2
Registered Users

It's not a stupid question and not offensive. According to what I have read, milk banks first quarantine all new milk until it is matched to a DNA sample they take during the screening process. Once it is confirmed that it is milk from the actual donor, then the milk goes through a pasteurization process. Then it is stored until needed. I think it is sold for about $3/oz.

If you're interested either myself or the other Mama who posted here could ship you some for the cost of overnight shipping. I know my mom used to buy frozen pizzas and ship them packed in a cooler with ice packs from IL to VA for her best friend from childhood and they got there still frozen. Not that pizza is the same as BM, but the concept is the same. I would be devastated if my supply got too low to feed my LO.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
reneemomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemawei View Post
If people PM you because they need milk and you don't have enough for everyone - please let me know. I too am running out of freezer space. By the end of next week I will have to throw some out (that or throw some of our food out). Personally, I'd rather throw the food out because it doesn't seem as valuable to me as EBM but DH feels differently.
I'm with you on this one. It's not only precious milk, but your time that you're dumping!! Of course DH doesn't understand the feeling of being sole nutrition for another human. It's an awesome feeling and responsibility!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This place is near me, but I know they were in need about a month ago:

http://www.milkbanksj.org/

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
redone5683
Banned

If you can find a mama in need, donate to her rather than to a bank. I donated a LOT to a bank before I found out that other mamas out there needed it, and that the banks make them PAY $3/ounce for it!!! Also, if there is a mama out there who is concerned about who the milk is coming from, she can ask the other mama to have some blood work done, and most mama's will cover what your ins doesn't. There are SO many mama's out there who could really use that milk for their LO but don't have the $$ to pay for it from a bank!
redone5683 is offline   Reply With Quote