Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
best airline for traveling with a newborn??

Okay.. it's time for Sam's debute in California to my family. He'll be almost 5 months old when I actually do go. I'm wondering if anyone knows what airline really is good with dealing with a breastfeeding mommy of a flight across the country. I've NEVER flown with a child, let alone my own baby.. so this should be interesting.

FYI, I will be holding Sam during the flight... he seems to do best like that, rather than buy a seat for him (I know, I know... but it's the only way I can afford to fly back in teh first place). I'll be flying from Virginia to California.

Any tips or suggestions?

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
tng_mama
Registered Users

Re: best airline for traveling with a newborn??

I flew from Nova Scotia to Ontario with a 6 month old back in February ( to see Ontariomama! ) I flew with CanJet, but they're out of business now... so I really don't have an airline suggestion. I think they're proabably all pretty good about it. They will board you first so you and the babe can get settled with any assistance you need from the attendants.

I will suggest that when you book your flight you ask that they not put you in a full row, so that maybe you can get an empty seat next to you for arm room. The flight attendants were great both times I've flown with a baby, they moved me both times to keep me and her comfy.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

AH, that's what I wanted to hear... I'm not really a "brave" person... so I'm kind of shy about asking to be moved if there's an empty seat near anyone for extra elbow room... but it's nice to know that most airlines will probably accomidated!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any airline except American! They restrict all mamas to one particular seat, usually the last one next to the toliet. Not only do they not allow you to move, they do not offer early boarding.

Sorry for the AA bashing..I had a horrible expierence last month with a baby-hating flight attendant.

DD & I fly to visit my folks every other month..we have found that NWA is the best! Like PP, they move you, they pre-board, & they even helped me with my bags.

Good luck.
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i LOVE southwest for flying!!!!!!!!!!!! they are awesome with kids and infants. when i was pregnant they let me get on the plane early and get off early just to make sure nobody bumped my stomach on the way in and out. when i had to fly with my then 8 month old they made sure that we were comfortable and that everything was ok. then i flew with my then 13 month old and 1 month old and i swear the flight attendants attention was all on me the whole time. i will forever fly southwest because of all the awesome treatment i recieved.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

So good to know!! Thank you all so much! It's kind of a scary thing to even think of--but I know I can do it now!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:

JET BLUE!!!!!!

I *LOVE* them - it is ALL we fly now.

I flew ALONE with DS when he was about 6weeks old (down to see my parents). I had the diaperbag, the carryon (full of my CDs I was too scared to check and risk losing), and our Britax. Oh, and the Boppy too! DS was strapped to me in the wrap, but I still didn't have enough hands. LOL The people there were super super nice. The counter people bumped me to a row that was empty so we ended up having 3 seats to ourselves, and got to use the carseat. The people at the gate/one the plane were wonderful - they helped me get all the crap off the cart and onto the plane. They helped me get his carseat fitted in there properly. They were totally cool about me BFing on the plane. They were also totally cool with me walking up and down the aisle to calm him when he got fussy. They came over to check how I was doing - extra times - to make sure I had enough to drink, extra snacks, enough blankets, etc. They even stopped by before takeoff to recommend that I nurse or give baby a bottle during takeoff and landing as babies have extra sensitive ears and this helps them adjust better. I was impressed.
Plus the seats are super comfty, have more leg room, and have TVs in the headrests. The planes are super clean - and the bathrooms are not only clean but have changing tables!!! And they had my carseat sent from teh plane directly to the office at the luggage claim so that I didn't have to lug it thru the airport.

Everytime we fly (which is every few months) we use JetBlue - and I have never been disappointed. The staff are always super nice, very very helpful, and it is child friendly. Once, I lost my wallet at some point between the security check point and the plane. I was freaking out. They actually had the pilot call back to the gate and have them look there, while the flight crew helped me scour the plane, and then helped me report it missing. It not only was turned in, I got a call from the airport and from JetBlue to let me know it was found (with the money still in it!) and it was overnighted to me.

The fact that they serve yummy snacks like almonds and biscotti is the icing on teh cake though. LOL
naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:

quick tip - Do NOT preboard! Then you are trapped on a hot stuffy airplane for the next 30-40 minutes with a restless babe as teh rest of the plane boards. If you have someone with you, have them board with all the baggage, etc. and you stay with teh baby. Board LAST. This was the BEST advice I have ever gotten regarding flying with a baby. Once I boarded earlier, and NEVER EVER again! It was horrible, DS was fussing and crying, and miserable. Usually he is happy and/or sleeps.

Also make sure you nurse during take off and landing. I wasn't sure if DS would nurse with that many people around - so I also brought a bottle of EMB for him. He nursed though.

Try to time the flight during a nap time. At 6 months, DS just wanted to be down crawling around, he never would have lasted 2 hours sitting on my lap to play. If baby is sleeping during takeoff or landing - wake them up! Just enough to get them to nurse, or they will wake up from the pain of their ears needing to pop.

A sling, MT, or wrap are excellent. You have to take baby out for security, but then get all done back up and navigating the airport is much easier. It also came in handy when flying without a carseat. I had a two hour flight, and my arms were killing me after holding a sleeping babe for that long. The MT and the wrap were godsends as I could warp him up, he'd go to sleep, and be secure against me - while I was free to read, eat, etc. And bring a change of clothes for them AND you - the first flight, DS had explosive poo during take off and puked on me during landing. I wish I had extra clothes for myself! LOL
naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We always fly JetBlue as well. I mean ALWAYS. Like we were banging down their doors before they were even offically "open for business" because they fly out of Oakland California (the airport is literally down the street from my parents house) nonstop to Dulles (the closest "big" airport to us in Virginia..a mere 3 hour drive). But, this trip is with my grandma's frequent flyer miles... so I'm at her mercy. Oh how I'm sure I'll miss being TrueBlue...

My mom was just telling me that htye had changing tables in their jets... I'm sure other airlines have to have them as well, right?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl7 View Post
quick tip - Do NOT preboard!

And bring a change of clothes for them AND you - the first flight, DS had explosive poo during take off and puked on me during landing. I wish I had extra clothes for myself! LOL
GOOD tips. Thanks!