Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:
Question...

Now that I've introduced solids, I think that Tyler's nursing has dropped drastically. He nurses only about 5 times per day now and he sleeps about a 10 hour stretch. My milk was completely evened out and perfect in supply regards...but this morning I had to wake him up at 6 to nurse. It felt like the first time your milk ever comes in... like rock hard engorgement... very painful. is this normal?
Also... I offer the breast probably 8 times a day still, but he only takes it five usually. He's 7.5 months about and started solids at a little over six months. He loves babyfood. Those are just things I thought you may want to know.

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Question...

I find when my kids go through growth spurts I get engorged every time. Do you think that could be it? Either that or maybe your supply dropped a little and then went back up?
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree he could have just gone through a growth spurt so your supply is a little high.

Also how many solids are you giving him? Id cut back a little bit b/c before the first year its just practice anyways.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
I agree he could have just gone through a growth spurt so your supply is a little high.

Also how many solids are you giving him? Id cut back a little bit b/c before the first year its just practice anyways.
Yeah... I was wondering about cutting back too. With Bailey, she didn't eat solids regularly until she was one. With Tyler, he screams and cries for solids... and I'm not kidding. If he sees anyone eating, he freaks out until we give him something. I don't want to deny him because every kid is different and I don't want to be rigid one way or the other. Am I doing the wrong thing? He eats about 2 jars of babyfood/day and nurses about 5 times per day.
I would say that he definitely isn't going through a growth spurt. He is nursing less. Maybe he is nursing more efficiently though?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm gonna post a couple links about solids and I hope something here helps ya, mama!
you're right too in the sense that you have to respond to each chld individually - I am assuming he is happy again when you respond with food?? - you're doing fine...and yeah - the engorment is 'normal' as your breasts will have to adjust your DS' new needs just like in the beginning!

Baby-Led Approach

Solids
Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 AM   #6
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt deny him. And 2 jars isn't that much. He's probably just more active and will pick up nursing again soon KWIM? When Lily first learned how to crawl it was like shed nurse for 5 mins and get down and that was that
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
I wouldnt deny him. And 2 jars isn't that much. He's probably just more active and will pick up nursing again soon KWIM? When Lily first learned how to crawl it was like shed nurse for 5 mins and get down and that was that
This could be it too... he's just starting to crawl. Thanks guys and thanks for the links!