Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What should I do????

I have been breastfeeding Jacy since she was born. She is now 8.5 months old. ABout 3 weeks ago, I had to have an MRI with contrast done and I couldn't breastfeed for 3 days. They found a benign pineal cyst in my brain and I was really freaked out about it. I may have to have it removed. Now Jacy is only nursing about 3 times a day and taking the bottle 3 times a day. Formula is so expensive. My milk has gone waaaaaaaaaay down. She seems to want the bottle during the day and the breast at night. I have been under a lot of stress and I am sure that is not helping. I am also working alot more (I am a nanny so I bring Jacy with me). I feel guilty about giving her formula...should I try to start exclusively nursing again or is it okay to do both?

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
apelilae
Registered Users

Re: What should I do????

I would try to nurse exclusively. But, you need to do what works for you. You only you know what that is. And always remember -mama knows best!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

if it were me I would try nursing exclusivly formula is expensive and stuff good luck with whatever you decide!

Clarissa
Old 10-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Like the others, I would do my best to try nursing exclusively. Call a lactation consultant for some help in bringing your supply back up. I had something similar to that done for my gallbladder at 2 months post and I never fully got my supply back up with my first daughter. She went back to EBF but got very dehydrated because I wasn't producing enough. I spent the next 4 months taking reglan and fenugreek and pumping hourly before I gave up because I was tired of it all. But I have to admit, I really wish I would have persevered, she didn't do well on formula.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

If possible, I would try to EBF. That being said, I CAN'T. I have never produced enough milk for my DS and he was deemed FTT because I was stuborn and refused to give him formula. I'm still racked with guilt that I was the cause of my child starving. I'd say give it your best shot, but if you can't do it, know that the breastmilk that she IS getting is better than none at all.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the advice...
I also had my gallbladder removed. I had to have it removed 3 weeks after I had me baby. Do you guys know of any proven ways to increase your milk supply?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynjacy View Post
I also had my gallbladder removed. I had to have it removed 3 weeks after I had me baby.
i was having terrible gall bladder issues in the end of my pregnancy and 2 weeks after ds was born ended up in the ER it was so bad , they wanted to remove it that night but i refused since ds was nursing and i refused to supplement with formula. turned out that was the last time i had a problem, seems there is a lot of pregnancy related gall bladder problems that seem to dissappear shortly after birth.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Eat lots of oatmeal, take fenugreek and blessed thistle, get as much bare skin contact with the baby as possible, offer the breast constantly. If you co-sleep, sleep topless to encourage nursing. If you don't co-sleep, you could try, to keep the contact up for awhile.

I'd throw out any pacifiers if you have them, and try and limit the number of bottles you give, instead offering the breast as the only option.

Kellymom.com has some good information on increasing your supply. If necessary, you can get a drug called domperidone. That would definately work.
Also the breastfeeding forum on Mothering.com is great!

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.
ndunn is offline   Reply With Quote