Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
markswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Red face moms who sew

Howdy ladies!! I'm wanting to take up sewing (never touched a sewing machine in my life and have only hand stitched a few buttons here and there). DH is going with me on this (although he's quite skeptical) and has agreed to purchase me my very 1st sewing machine for my birthday. My mom is gonna teach me the basics and I plan to take a new owners class too. So for all you experts out there, can you recommend a good machine for under $150. What should I look for?? I can't wait to try out Katrina's fleece soaker pattern!! TIA mamas!!

Advertisement

markswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: moms who sew

I got a Shark Euro Pro for 75 at Targets. IMO its a good beginning machine as it has less options then a more expensive (erego less chance of getting confused with wth u are doing).

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I have a brother that i got from walmart for $90 or so. It's served me well I'm ready to move on to a serger almost but for now I'm happy with it.

For fabric, try thrift stores! You can usually buy things like a huge flannel sheet for $2 which gives you tons of fabric to work with. You can also practice with different kinds of fabric from the remnant bins in the fabric stores. Don't bother with patterns and expensive fabric for the first while, and don't feel bad if you throw tons of projects out. That's how you learn
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
I have a brother that i got from walmart for $90 or so. It's served me well I'm ready to move on to a serger almost but for now I'm happy with it.

For fabric, try thrift stores! You can usually buy things like a huge flannel sheet for $2 which gives you tons of fabric to work with. You can also practice with different kinds of fabric from the remnant bins in the fabric stores. Don't bother with patterns and expensive fabric for the first while, and don't feel bad if you throw tons of projects out. That's how you learn
They also generally have a table of fabric at wal-mart for around $1.00/yard. Start with basic stuff (pillowcase dresses are good!). Good luck! You'll be addicted to fabric soon!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

I highly reccommend the Brother machines for a beginner. You can get a decent one at walmart.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
LibertyChic
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's what I have... excellent beginner machine and for any "light" sewing.
LibertyChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

I've got a brother too, it's my 3rd machine(all brothers)
They're good for light (in duty and weight) projects.
2 of them were under 100$..
Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
sadiekat
Registered Users
seller

I have the Singer Simple. I love it! I use it in conjunction with my Serger now but for the longest time it was my only machine. They sell for about $100.00.

It is what it says it is...simple. Basic stitches and it can do buttonholes etc.

ETA: This is the machine I have

http://www.allbrands.com/products/ab...ogle&ovtac=CMP

They also carry it at Wal-Mart.

Last edited by sadiekat; 07-24-2008 at 01:05 PM.
sadiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
tristens1mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought this one when it was on sell at amazon with free shipping only $124. It is super easy, has an automatic feeder, a twin needle for what I call "mock serging" for my contour diapers that I make & a whole lot of fancy stitches that I haven't even tried. It came the very next day after I ordered. I was thoroughly impressed.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
markswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristens1mom View Post
I bought this one when it was on sell at amazon with free shipping only $124. It is super easy, has an automatic feeder, a twin needle for what I call "mock serging" for my contour diapers that I make & a whole lot of fancy stitches that I haven't even tried. It came the very next day after I ordered. I was thoroughly impressed.
Which one mama??
markswife is offline   Reply With Quote