Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #21
hautemama925
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: moms who sew

It's not so hard! Just takes some practice. After a month or two you'll see a HUGE difference in how you're doing! Especially if you take a class. You can look on craigslist, the local community centers or go to JoAnn fabric for lessons. Basics are really all you need until you really want or need to know more :-) i have a singer from walmart $100 that dh got me for xmas. it does the job! would eventually like an upgrade though.

Advertisement

hautemama925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #22
markswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas!!
markswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #23
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswife View Post
I was eyeing this one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8798084 but a lady at Joanne's suggested this one: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...DID=xprd623999 There are so many options out there (like with CDing ), it's easy to get overwhelmed with the choices.

That first one should do you just fine. You can always upgrade later if you fall in love with sewing.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #24
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurelyYoureSpecial View Post
If you can, you might want to check out your local sewing machine repair shop. They usually have good and reasonably used machines that people have traded up with. They are better priced then the newer machines and have probably been tuned and oiled for you. Some shops will even give you a guarantee with them.
It's just a thought of one way to get more for your money.
Many of the tried and true machines will be better and last longer then the newer ones.
I completely agree with this. Our local sewing store has wonderful older machines for great prices. They've all been tuned up and are ready to go. I have 2 machines. One a simple Kenmore that I got at Kmart for about $60. It suits me, a beginner sewer, just fine. I also have an older model heavy duty Necchi that my aunt gave me. I'm planning on using it when I'm a more experienced sewer.

You're going to have a great time. I've found that I really enjoy sewing and it's not as difficult as I imagined it to be. It's so rewarding to make something on your own (one of my first things was a Katrina soaker).
Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #25
markswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies!! You are all giving me the enouragement (and insight) I need to get started!!
markswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #26
jpabruzzese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You'll enjoy it quite a bit. I have a huskystar E10 that I got from the local sewing machine store for $150. This includes a three year service plan on anything! I like the machine, I do wish the manual was a bit more descriptive, but so far I've sew probably a dozen diapers, a sundress for both daughters, a couple pair of shorts and a top for odd. I had never sewn before all of this and am teaching myself with the aid of different books and the interent. I am having loads of fun doing this. Good luck!