Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
A legit way to make extra money!?

Hey mamas... I have been introduced to yet again another network marketing business opportunity. Several years ago I got in with the wrong multi-level marketing *business* and it was not a good experience. But here I am again... very curious and wondering if it really could work.

The newest company I've been learning about actually makes sense. It's affiliated with large companies such as Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, Dish Network, an Internet service, home phone service, Identity Theft service, etc. The deal is to get everyone to eliminate the "middle man" (the local branch that you pay your bill through) and become your own "bill to" person.... So each month for example, I would now be paying my Verizon bill through myself (and in turn saving a small percentage) as opposed to "Bill Smith" down the road where I signed my last contract getting that small percentage per month. Also, the key is to sign others up as well-- the point is that these companies are paying to get "loyal customers"... The payment plan sounds good, and do-able. Also, there is no product to sell, and I wouldn't be asking anything absurd, or *extra* of anyone... just a simple re-route of the services they currently use... or they could sign up and also go out there and try to find those who are interested in making some extra money while finding loyal customers.

I've heard lots and lots of UNsuccessful stories, and I've been there done that myself... so my question is-- have any of you had any success with network marketing? If so, what's the key? And should I take this chance and join this company, starting my own business?

Thanks in advance for your time!!!!

Rene' - Married to my utmost best friend I Mama to N (4/07) step-mama to R (12/02) & A (11/04)

Last edited by reneng; 07-24-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: No one was reading it...
reneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: A legit way to make extra money!?

Honestly? Sounds barely profitable at best and a total scam at worst. I would stear clear, especially given your history of getting in on a bum deal. If you have to ask "could this be sketchy" it probably is. That's my
Proud play at home mommy to two magical little beans 2/06, 5/09
playingoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
My Mood:

I friend of mine just called me about something called shop to earn. She's very excited about it and says that she's earned something like $2000 in a month.

I have no idea how true that it. Multi-level marketing never sounds like a good idea to me.

If you're interested in SHop to earn, you can check it out on

I think you shop online and get money back.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Multi-level marketing is sort-of like pyramid scheme right? Didn't they make pyramid scheme illegal in the US - so companies like AMWAY are now Multi-level marketing.
"Life is a journey, not a destination". Enjoy the ride.
Mommimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have had 1 experience with multi-level marketing, it was terrible. I vowed to never do it again. I hate the feeling that I have to turn all of my friends into customers. I'd rather be poor with good friends
bigmamaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I know several people who have done "network marketing" or whatever you call it, and been successful. They do *work* their business and I think for some it can work. What I did was assess my strengths, what I liked, looked for a need in our area, and started my own business. I'm not getting rich - ha ha - but I anticipate making upwards of $20K per year and more when I am able to offer more classes and add teachers to my business. Is there a skill you already have that you could use to either work from home or for another business in your community part-time to generate supplemental income? How much are you thinking? A few hundred a month? More?

ETA: I have done mystery shopping (NEVER pay a fee) and made some extra money. It's not "steady" work ... if you're interested I can dig up the links for the companies I've signed up with (it's free).
~Señora Susan~ woh-mompreneur
SPANISH links SPANISH Bookstore
All Boy, All the Time! L 02.09 | E 05.07 | I 07.03 | N 09.99
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.

Last edited by frogandtoad; 08-02-2008 at 01:26 PM.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

Network marketing kind of scares me, especially since you have had bad luck with it before.
I actually *work* from home with 2 different companies. I don't make a lot of money but it is at least a little extra. I am a guide with am also a member of the M.O.M. Team. They are both super easy and not time consuming at all. You can work when you want to, whenever you want. I know this wasn't exactly what you were asking but I thought I would share. Good luck!
yathink20 is offline   Reply With Quote