Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Question EBF advise-My pediatrician wants me to supplement with a vitamin?

My son had his 2 month old check up today and when I told the Dr. I was ebf, she wrote me a prescription for a liquid vitamin to give my lo I supplemented formula with my girls so this is the first time I've ebf-is this normal to give ebf babies vitamins? She said it was in case my diet was lacking in anything-which I admit I'm not the best eater but this just sounds weird to me? Sara

Advertisement

myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EBF advise-My pediatrician wants me to supplement with a vitamin?

My ped suggested TriViSol for both girls for the same reason. I didn't bother. I think she said it was in case I wasn't getting enough iron. Funny thing is, the iron that babies get through breastmilk is WAAAY more bioavailable than in vitamins or fortified formula... so even though they're getting less, they're actually absorbing more. I was/am taking a multi-vitamin myself, all of which passes through the breastmilk to babe. Plus, it tastes awful- your LO will likely spit it back out and be really angry every time you try to administer it.

GL with your decision!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's fairly standard practice to suggest that. However, it's untrue that you eating a less than stellar diet is going to mean that your milk is lacking what your child needs.
I am of the firm belief that breastmilk is complete nutrition for babies for at least the first six months. My ped. suggested one time that we give DS2 vitamins. I said no thanks, and that's it.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

I think I'll start taking a vitamin myself and not give him the supplement-I'm also going to be starting WW back up and will be eating a lot healthier than what I am right now. I haven't had a fresh veggie or fruit in a loooong time but I have to on WW sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm a firm believer that breastmilk isn't deficient in anything. Doctors will make you believe it, though. But hey, it's a business.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
kimberlee212
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it's standard practice for docs to recommend a vitamin for EBF LOs. I think it's for vitamin D and iron. The vitamin D they get enough of just being in the car for the day through sunlight and they will get iron in your BM. I try to remember to take my own vitamin just in case.

Like PP said, the infant vitamins taste nasty, smell and will stain clothes. Learned all that as a first time mom. I just told my pedi I wouldn't be using vitamins and he was fine with that.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
takasmom
Registered Users

Was there a particular vitamin your ped was worried about? My guess is vitamin D, which is the common one that they suggest a supplement for. They are worried the breastmilk is low in it. There really is no need for it from what I have read, bc the vitamin D that is in the milk is designed to be more extractable. Also I think the nutrients from your diet go to the baby first and you second, so if anyone is going to be deficient (i.e calcium) it would be you not your LO. If the ped or you are concerned why not you take a prenatal then everyone is covered?
takasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I'm a firm believer that breastmilk isn't deficient in anything. Doctors will make you believe it, though. But hey, it's a business.
Agreed!

Unless you are in an area where you get little sun in the winter and they need vitamin D, but we are talking way up north, some parts of CAnada, Alaska,etc... then your milk is perfect.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Was your baby a preemie? Preemie's have less iron stores so doctors usually recommend it. My first was a 28 weeker so I did use poly-vi-sol, but didn't stress if I missed a day here or there.

With my second the doctor told me Polyvisol was unnecessary but did request that I give just viatamin D drops over winter months, so we did that, but again didn't stress if we missed a day here or there. I guess I figured better safe than sorry.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
kalmond
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would think that if YOU at least take vitamins, since you said your diet is not the best that the vitamins from you would be good enough for baby.
kalmond is offline   Reply With Quote