Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
my*scorpio
Registered Users
seller

Re: Am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
Just a little update, I've been nursing at each feeding (or at least attempting) and keeping skin 2 skin contact. I'm also letting him nap on me in his wrap write now. Just today I've noticed a few differences in him. He's not as cranky, he has not spit up once today. Just wanted to let ya'll know!!
Is he is latching on? If he's already doing that, you have overcome the biggest hurdle!

I don't think it can hurt to try Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. (Note: do not take Fenugreek while pregnant). Also, a bowl of oatmeal a day has been reported to help some ladies.

Advertisement

my*scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
Mommy2Austin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my*scorpio View Post
Is he is latching on? If he's already doing that, you have overcome the biggest hurdle!

I don't think it can hurt to try Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. (Note: do not take Fenugreek while pregnant). Also, a bowl of oatmeal a day has been reported to help some ladies.
He does latch on, but just for a little bit and sometimes he doesn't at all, but i keep him close and snuggle him to my bare breast and feed him his bottle for now
Mommy2Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I relactated a little when DS was younger. You can take both herbs together. I second the oatmeal. Maybe try those Quaker oatmeal squares, that's what I ate when I was relactating. Make sure to drink PLENTY of water. Those of us who relactated also looked into taking medication (domperidone, reglan) but I suggest you try all the herbal remedies first as it IS medication and can be "unfriendly" to you, LOL.
If he is latching on, and you are still producing a little you are giving him a great gift as I'm sure he's getting some of your milk! Keep getting him latched on, he'll get way more milk out than anything else you can try.
I used a Lact-Aid when I was relactating. It was pretty frustrating and complicated to use, LOL, but worth if you can get him to latch on. If he's upset when you latch him on because nothing is coming out, the SNS will help wonders!
I'm so glad you have DH's help! You CAN do it!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #14
counterGOPI
Registered Users
seller

it would not be weird at all mama. you can do it!!! how wonderful of you!! :hug:

IDSO: Ruskovilla and Disana items & hanna andersson play dresses
counterGOPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #15
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

I understand you can really boost production by using the sns, then pumping too so your body gets as much stimulation as possible.

I think you are doing great just keeping this a loving and relaxed time. Even if you were to never relactate you are giving your baby a gift by the close contact and quick response to his needs.
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #16
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Good luck mama I think this is so great!!!

Clarissa
Old 10-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #17
jillkuster
Registered Users
seller

I have had a lot of experience with this one. My daughter Lucia was nursed and when she was 38 days old she had to go on life support for a month. After that she was in and out of the hospital for another month. She had an "unknown" upper respirtory infection that they thought was RSV-though she tested negative for it.
Long story short, I couldn't nurse her while she struggled to stay alive and pumping made me go dry...that or the stress.....I don't know which.
I had to suppliment with formula and teach her to nurse all over again. I struggled for about two months with supply and it was AWFUL for awhile. I couldn't make milk and she was screaming and crying and starving so I had to give her the bottle-which would screw us up all over again....
I talked to many people who told me it was pointless to continue to try and nurse her. They told me I'd basically have to elimante all stress and drink a ton of water and stay in bed until we got it done....and even then we wouldn't be able to do it so why bother.
Well, we did it.
And we did it until she was 3!
Don't give up.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #18
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
I have had a lot of experience with this one. My daughter Lucia was nursed and when she was 38 days old she had to go on life support for a month. After that she was in and out of the hospital for another month. She had an "unknown" upper respirtory infection that they thought was RSV-though she tested negative for it.
Long story short, I couldn't nurse her while she struggled to stay alive and pumping made me go dry...that or the stress.....I don't know which.
I had to suppliment with formula and teach her to nurse all over again. I struggled for about two months with supply and it was AWFUL for awhile. I couldn't make milk and she was screaming and crying and starving so I had to give her the bottle-which would screw us up all over again....
I talked to many people who told me it was pointless to continue to try and nurse her. They told me I'd basically have to elimante all stress and drink a ton of water and stay in bed until we got it done....and even then we wouldn't be able to do it so why bother.
Well, we did it.
And we did it until she was 3!
Don't give up.

what a great story. not the part about your baby being sick, so glad she's healthy now, but really inspiring. thanks for sharing.

tot he OP--great news! you sound like a really loving, patient mama. what a lucky little baby you have.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #19
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:

DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER!!!!!!!!! this is one of the biggest things. Kill yourself on the water. when relactating with my second when she was 4 months old I was drinking 4 quarts before lunch everday. It takes 7 hours for what you take in to turn into Breast Milk. Also herbs are fantastic but know what you are getting. Fenugreek, Marshmallow and alfalpha are awesome. Here are some other as well...

Aniseed : Aids digestion and promotes mother's milk production for nursing mothers.

Caraway : This herb has galacagogue properties. Used to aid mother's milk production and helps digestion disorders.

Fenugreek : The most common galacagogue. Fenugreek breast feeding herbs are best taken in capsule form, 2 to3 capsules three times a day. Herbal tea is also effective, drink one cup three times daily. NB : Fenugreek is considered a uterine stimulant, so do not use this herb if you are pregnant. (I have only found one place where they did not agree with Fenugreek- I have spoken with any midwife or herbalist who does but you can see the note in the what not to take below. I have onlyy had huge success with it and I think the problems are more in who is making them so make sure you buy from a good health food store. Everywhere you look you will see that fenugreek is used for lactation.)

Barley:http://allonhealth.com/increase-breast-milk.htm

Marshmallow - Supposed to make the milk sweeter and more palatable to baby. My milk is pretty sweet (so says my husband), so I don't know if this one is really worth the trouble! UPDATE - Makes the milk RICHER, with a higher fat content!

Fennel - May increase the flow of milk. But, avoid the fennel oil - only seeds and fruit!

Garlic - Increases a baby's appetite and encourages longer nursing sessions

Common herbs to avoid if you are having milk problems or if you want to increase breast milk supply.

Aloe spp.
Black cohosh
Buckthorn
Cascara sagrada
Cocoa
Coffee
Kava kava
Ma huang
Sage
Senna
Tea
Wintergreen
Herbs that reduce Breast milk flow

Castor bean
Jasmine flower
Sage

Herbs to Avoid While Breastfeeding

Aloe Vera

Basil

Black Cohosh

Bladderwrack

Borage - Though, it has been used to greatly increase milk supply when nursing twins... Use judiciously if at all!

Bugleweed

Cascara Sagrada

Coltsfoot

Comfrey - External use ok.

Elecampane

Ephedra

Fenugreek - although this has been recommended in the past to increase milk supply, it contains coumarin (which is a BIG no-no when nursing) and nicotine. Both can adversely affect the heart rate and blood pressure in mom and babe!

Foxglove

Imitation Vanilla - some of these from Mexico can contain some potentially dangerous herbal derivatives!

Licorice

Nightshade

Parsley - Will dry up milk supply.

Sage - Also dry up milk supply!

Senna

Wormwood

Well I hope that helps! If I can remember any others I will let you know! I have used most of these at one point or another and I can tell you that my milk is super thick cream. I have even given it to friends whose babies were in need. Also you can express whenever you get the chance too and then add formula to whatever is lacking in your bottles when feeding time come along. This will help to stimulate the breast and get more of the sweet breast milk taste to your babe. Also note that it is more work to breastfeed than suck a bottle so it may take him some time. I would always offer the breast first and then the bottle in order to get his most hugry sucks! Another note on the herbs- it takes about 1-2 weeks for them to make a difference and many of these herbs you can find in a combine tea or you can make your own if you find a health store that sells loose herbs. also note you need to take A LOT more than the recomended dose but that is at your own discretion if you want my opinion on what I did you can pm me...Minda
Old 10-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #20
vegmama
Registered Users
seller

Yay! I just wanted to say congratulations on giving it a try and being so dedicated Good luck!
vegmama is offline   Reply With Quote