Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Registered Users
Health Ins & Adoption Question

Does anyone have any experience with adding a child to your health insurance before the adoption is finalized?

My family and I are in the fairly chaotic state of dealing with my being pregnant and expecting a week or two before my unexpected layoff termination date.

My partner will be able to legally adopt our daughter, but not within the 31 day window during which I could add her to my health insurance. She already covers herself and our son, but her employer doesn't provide domestic partner benefits, so I currently have employee-only coverage. Using COBRA to cover me and the baby will be a lot more expensive than adding the baby to her insurance.

Thanks in advance!

LizaWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Health Ins & Adoption Question

Hmm, Federal law says that an adopted child is supposed to be covered from the momeny you assume custody of them and are on US soil if you have group health insurance. But, I'm really not sure if this law has a loophole regarding domestic partners and a second parent adoption situation. This is probably something you need to call an adoption attorney and ask.
Mom of 8 rainbow children. Big sister to Passelofkids
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Maybe see if your partner can contact her insurance company and see if they will allow an extention to add her. We had a situation where we were still going to be in country when the time limit to add DD expired, so they issued us an extention because we notified them in advance. Any care would have been retroactive to the date of finalization.
In a domestic situation where you have to wait to finalize they should cover her from the date of birth, no problem.
Blessed to be Mommy to DD, Avery (4 yrs. old)
Waiting on 1st Foster Placement!
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

In our situation our children were on the plan retroactive to the date the adoption was finallized in Ethiopia. But we were an international adoption so it may be diffrent.
Adoptive mommy to: DD 4yrs and DS 2yrs, wife of 9years to the best hubby ever
beansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

With domestic adoption, we had to wait 6 months after placement before finializing.. and we have BCBS coverage under an individual plan. We had to have our lawyer set up a special court apperance (he just had to go before a judge) to have a paper signed saying that placement had been made. They called it "Order regarding placement" and it was signed by the judge.... it said something like this:

"The child born to ...... on ...... now known as ...... was placed into the care and custody of ..... on ..... by the Court Appointed Custodian. And that such placement by the Court Appointed Custodian is approved by the Court."

Once we presented this document, then the coverage was granted and was retroactive to the date of birth.
Praying for #2 - either by birth or adoption
Paula - Wife to youth pastor & Mamma to Alli born 01/03/07 & brought home on 01/05/07
cravnp99 is offline   Reply With Quote