Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #21
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Number of children and cost of living?

I am not sure about the cost of living here. I cannotafford to move though, i know that. I live just outside of Phoenix. ( like 1 mile LOL) we have 3 kids ( 4thcoming) and we live in a 3 bed 2 bath home. We would be doing ALOT better if we werent dumb a few years ago with our spending, but we are paying theprice now. We planonhaving at least 1 more after this baby, and maybe 2.
Hubby does well with his job. even though he is underpaid for his knowledge and experience, we cant complain.He makes about 70K. In a year or so we wil have no credit cards, or stupid debts, and we will be in a much better position. Until then, we are here.
I really dont think aboutfinances though when it comes to how many i can afford. My MIL had 5 boys and at the most, when all 5 were at home, they made 25K per year. The cost of living is less in Idaho, but still that is not alot of money, adn they always made ends meet.
I generally dont think about how much we make or cost of living when we are deciding on kids. we just adjust as needed. Like when gas prices were 3 dollars, we didnt go anywhere. now that they are a little over 2 dollars, we are planning a day trip up north.
If hubby never got another rasie, i woulld still have as many kids as we want. To me it is more important tostop when my MIND cant afford any more, than when my budget says we cant do it. I feel There is always a way to provide...

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #22
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I only have one child.

I have been able to afford to do a lot of really cool things, BECAUSE I had only one child. We go to Hawaii every few years, we have spent 10 days at Disney WOrld. Obviously that would have been out of the question if I had had more than one kid.

The other thing she gets to do is dance, her dance is VERY expensive. This would also be a no go if I had say more than two.

BUT, other than those COMPLETELY unimportant things, what is it about kids that makes them so expensive???

Teenagers are WAY more expensive than little kids (which came as a complete shock to me BTW)

ANyway, what is so expensive about a large group of kids????
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #23
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The cost comes from all areas:
food
shelter (bigger family often means bigger dwelling)
clothing
vehicle (larger vehicles often cost more)
larger household (more consumption of energy, water, etc)
more extra curricular costs

A lot of people limit the amount of kids they have because of college educations.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #24
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

I live in southwest florida so I can totally relate to what you are saying.

typically people here have 2 kids. some have three, not many more. I am pregnant with #3. I would love to have a 4th but it is so hard here, the lots the houses on are small and you can really only find a 3 bedroom house, unless you want to fork over tons of money for a 4 or 5 bedroom house. but we are talking $500,000 for a 4 bedroom home.

I know what you are talking about. yes I do think about these things but I can't complain too much. My dh says he doesn't want any more than 3 kids anyway so I don't want to rock the boat
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #25
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

The cost of living in my area is average, not cheap but not too pricey. Our job force is not that good though and a lot of people have been laid off and have a hard time finding work. Thankfully dh works for the gov't and has his 10 years in, he's not going anywhere. We have 3 kids right now and I'd love one more. Can we afford it? Yes to some extent. Dh got our home dirt cheap and had to put a lot of hard work into it. Because of that I can be a SAHM, right now he is working on a flip home that is going to give us a nice little cushin and we are thinking about possibly moving. Our home now is 1200 square feet, 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, basement and garage on a double lot. We'd like another bathroom and bedroom and a larger living area. Our kids all do activities ~ ds in swim and dd in tap, we take small vacations and my kids have plenty of nice clothes on their backs. We have no problem with food or paying our bills but we don't have a bunch of "mad money" but that really doesn't bother us. i came from a huge family, dh from a small one. I am used to living on what we need and only occasionaly getting a "want", dh is used to getting all his needs and wants so that is an issue sometimes. We don't base the number of kids on what we can afford, we base it on what we are given.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #26
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I only have one child.

I have been able to afford to do a lot of really cool things, BECAUSE I had only one child. We go to Hawaii every few years, we have spent 10 days at Disney WOrld. Obviously that would have been out of the question if I had had more than one kid.

The other thing she gets to do is dance, her dance is VERY expensive. This would also be a no go if I had say more than two.

BUT, other than those COMPLETELY unimportant things, what is it about kids that makes them so expensive???

Teenagers are WAY more expensive than little kids (which came as a complete shock to me BTW)

Actually, my 2001 Chevy Express 15 passenger van was cheaper than a minivan by about 7 thousand dollars.
I have had 4 girls in dance before, 3 now. The other one before was a foster daughter that was moved.

We have taken 6 of our children to Disney World, then when we had 7 we went to Universal Studios. We do something like that every other year with part of our tax check. So you can do those types of things with larger families, just maybe not as often. I put my kids first and I barely get a thing...LOL..but I dont care. I find when I have money to spend on myself I end up spending it on them anyway. One day they will be grown so I will get things later....but....then again...there will be granbabies!! lol

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr

Last edited by annes_cottage; 10-10-2006 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling errors
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #27
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definatly say the cost is everywhere on having more kids. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but they eat a ton of food, drink a ton of milk, they play sports, need clothes, shoes, etc. (which I do buy very gently used or on clearance when at ALL possible!
Hand me down shoes & jeans for babies & toddlers are ok, but not big boys! They just don't make it that long! We had to have a mini-van, otherwise we couldn't travel together. We wanted a safe vehicle and one that would keep a nice resale value but still be economical on gas & repairs. When we do travel place we can't stay in a regular single hotel room, we need a suite b/c we have more than 5 ppl. That limits our choices and its always nicer places, not that *I* mind, but our budget has to be allocated differently. And then there's school pictures, even for the cheapest package is expensive. We do our own holiday family & birth announcement/b-day pics but I like to have 1 nice school picture to frame, even that is $25 each! School and church activities usually run about $7.50/person. We have church & pre-K pumpkin patch field trips, one is $9/person and the other is $6/kid. School fund-raisers, school activities, school sports, the occasional hot lunch, lunch-friendly foods, gas to & from... the list goes on. Health insurance is also more, but once you reach 2 kids the price is all the same.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #28
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As far as traveling, we usually do 2-3 vacations, whether its camping or actually going somewhere like Disneyland. We went when I was first pregnant w/ #5 and used our tax credit too!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #29
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I am going to see how things go! Yesterday I told him I wanted another and he said we could try again when Jacy is about a year. I said "you know, I can get pregnant whenever I want to..lol" and he said "I know and smiled"...
that means that "we" are not always "careful".....
He is too funny!
My mom considered moving further north in florida. I have a 12 year old sister so I would feel bad to put her through such a move. Anyone else from FL though about moving further north?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #30
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I only have one child.

We do all the same with 4, except Hawaii as I don't want fly that far. I take my parents and my husband works. It is lots more expensive, but we plan for it.

I am an only child BTW. Many people can have lots of kids and be good parents. It's not for everone.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote