Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #31
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Number of children and cost of living?

Move to Springfield, Mo. The schools are great, the crime is low and the COL is VERY low. Average homes are like 100,000 for a nice neighborhood 3/2. LOL when I read posts like this, it makes me not want to move.

Advertisement

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #32
mamachandi
Registered Users

I do want more. we have 3. it is so expensive already so we probably won't. I do envy you mamas who have more. My mom had 6
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #33
Shawna_L
Banned

To me this subject is a matter of personal choice, balance, and perspective. I have one child and I only want to have one child. It's what works for our life. We don't want our son in daycare so I only work part-time and he either stays with my husband or mother while I'm away. This has changed our finances a bit, but we get by. We don't have cable television, I shop consignment stores and garage sales, no more manicures either!

We're fortunate. My husband makes a good living. We live in safe community with excellent schools. Cost of living is low, in my opinion. Our home (3 bedroom, 2 bath) cost around $150,000. Our life is nice, but not extravagant. We are comfortably able to provide for the needs of our family. If we have more children that situation would change, and I'm not willing to do that.

My SIL has a very different view than mine. She wants lots of children, even if it means living off her credit cards and government assistance to do it. That's a choice she's comfortable with.

My hunch is my child and her children will have very different lives...but they all with be loved and well cared for and to me that's what matters. There's not a right answer to the "how many children?" question...it all works out in the end.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #34
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkmt View Post
Move to Springfield, Mo. The schools are great, the crime is low and the COL is VERY low. Average homes are like 100,000 for a nice neighborhood 3/2. LOL when I read posts like this, it makes me not want to move.
I would LOVE to move to MO, but hubby hasnt been able to get workk there. I know the cost of living is alot less than there
My older borther lefthis 70Kper year job in St lous to take a 80K year job in Long Beach Cali. He is INSANE!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #35
ttrjpbc
Transaction Issues arising. Please file a cliam if you are waiting on items!!
seller

My Mood:

Our area in PA is rediculous to me........property taxes on a 300,000. house are 15,000.00 a year! And finding a house for 300K isn't easy unless it's a townhouse. We have 6 and a Chevy Express 15pass van too (2005 pd 24K), we do dance and go to Disney, but things get snug with 6!! Oldest just got braces yesterday with the grand total bill of 6,000.00!! What if they all need braces? We don't have dental!! YIKES!
ttrjpbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #36
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkmt View Post
Hey, are you one of the DS mamas that met my friend, Amy?
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #37
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in JC MO and the COL is very low here. We rent a 3br 3bath townhouse with a 2 car gargage and big back deck for 590/month plus utilities. You can buy a decent home for around 100k for 3 or 4 bedrooms. But the pay here matches the low COL so we don't make much either LOL! My dh makes less about 30k/year and i SAH so we get by but its pretty hard sometimes. I'll go back to work in in at least 4yrs and we'll then start saving ALOT of money that we can't save now for college/retirement. I'd love to have 1 more baby (we have 3 now) and its not so much our income that is stopping us ~ we really need a bigger house for another baby i think but we have pretty crappy credit from being stupid years ago so unless we come up with a LARGE downpayment on a house we'll be stuck renting
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote