Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Sweetpea985
Registered Users

My Mood:
how did you learn how to knit/ crochet?

i REALLY want to learn how to knit DD and DS some longies but i dont now where to even start looking!

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: how did you learn how to knit/ crochet?

My grandma taught me single crochet when I was around 10. My sister refreshed my memory about a year ago, and everything else, I learned from a book and trial & error. Knitting, if I ever decide to learn, I'll get somebody to teach me in person. A craft store, especially a local one, might offer lessons.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Samo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my mom taught me to crochet sometime when i was in elementary school. i've never picked up knitting though, wish i had my mom teach me both, but i was having too much fun just crocheting lol. I did think about buying those 'learn to' kits from the local crafts store...a friend of mine recently picked it up and she learned quickly from the book!
Samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
GeneralJinjur
Registered Users

My Mood:

I learned from a big Needle Arts book that my mom happened to have around the house. The only thing I couldn't master from that book is tatting. Eventually, I found someone to teach me.

Annie's Attic (I'm too new to post a link) has little Quicktime videos of basic knitting and crochet stitches. That would be a good substitute for a live teacher.
GeneralJinjur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
yakochica
Registered Users

My Mood:

I found some really great books at the library. One that I like is "200 crochet tips, techniques and trade secrets" by Jan Eaton. If you have a library close by just go browse the craft book section. For a fun knitting how-to I like "knit.101 the indispensable self-help guide to knitting and crochet" by the experts at knit.1 the magazine (that's what it says on the front) it has some fun and funky projects.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
BabyKaykes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also learned single and double crochet from my grandmother. I think I was 7 or 8yo. I learned the rest on my own a few years back when I wanted to make a baby blanket for my son.

I don't knit. I can cast on like a pro, but not so great at the rest. I'm sure I could learn, but right now it's just not in me.

Try books and websites: www.knittinghelp.com and nexstitch.com

When you're first starting out you may want to try your stitching techniques with a blanket or something just as simple (scarf, hat). Then when you feel confident move up to longies, because a good 99% of the available patterns are knit/crochet in the round, and that can be confusing if you don't know what you're doing.
BabyKaykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
SurelyYoureSpecial
Registered Users

My Mood:

I HAD to learn when I was 10 years old in a church girls class. In order to earn a badge you had to knit something and crochet something. I'm grateful so many church ladies were around to teach the young girls. It was wonderful to learn at such an early age. Of course I didn't fully appreciate it until I was much older. I can't watch tv without doing "hand" work. I have a favorite crocheted baby blanket that is so easy. After 2 rows you don't even need the pattern. I average about 5-10 crocheted baby blankets that go to a local hospital. They sell them in the gift shop. Just a small way of "giving" back.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Lyttlewon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I watched www.knittinghelp.com. My first pattern was the Fern & Faerie pattern because you knit flat. Then I did the Picky Pants pattern which is nice for beginners.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
sunfish_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm basically teaching myself using the internet. There are tons of videos out there to show how to work different stitches and so on. www.knittinghelp.com is good but I really prefer youtube for videos. Good Luck! It's easier than you think.

sunfish_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
jenesis536
Registered Users

My Mood:

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was 12, but I have since forgotton pretty much everything but the regular stitch. I learned to knit a few years ago at a local knitting shop that had classes. There was one here that has free classes or paid ones, but they just closed! I am still not good, but at least I was able to learn some things. I also want to make some longies and got a good pattern, but I am struggling with it already. Good luck!

Married to my best friend Sean, mom to Sarah (12), Ashley (5) and baby Ryder (born 10/8/08)
jenesis536 is offline   Reply With Quote