Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Telling the kids ...

Well, I decided to tell the kids since I've sent a card to my parents (kinda lame, I know but as this pregnancy is UNEXPECTED I'm sure they'll have some strong opinions ...) Anywho -- I stole the idea from another thread and left this for the kids at their place at the kitchen table (it's a Tinkle Trap NB diaper):

On the back I wrote a personal note to each child.

My 8 yr old found his before I got up and told me he saw the note. Then he said he's been wanting a sister for a long time (we have 3 boys).

I read the note with the 5 yr old. He said he's really excited. Then he said, "Mom, you do look kinda fat down there," as he pointed to my belly.

Now, I just wait for my parents response ... SIGH. On the card I sent them there was a picture of a couple on the front holding a baby. Inside I wrote;

Pink or Blue?

Well we'll know for sure in February.

Then I asked especially for their support as this is an unexpected pregnancy. I've said I want 4 kids, but the timing isn't the best for us right now.

Advertisement

There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Telling the kids ...

I think your idea is wonderful. Hopefully, your family will get through any negative reaction they might be have without you having to witness it, and call you with congratulations.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilismom View Post
I think your idea is wonderful. Hopefully, your family will get through any negative reaction they might be have without you having to witness it, and call you with congratulations.
The point of sending mom and dad a card is to give them some time to get over the shock. DH wanted to wait another few weeks (I can't!) and I decided to just tell them now. I've had 3 pregnancies and 0 miscarriages, so even though there is always the possibility, I don't know that it's likely ... Plus the order of who finds out when is important and I can't have them hearing from someone else that I'm pregnant - that would really get them Once they know, I won't have to worry about telling everyone else.

I'm sure we'll get all the "how will you afford", "what are you planning to do about work", "what about the baby", etc. etc. I'm ready. Well, and they are pretty good grandparents, so once they get over the initial shock I'm pretty sure they'll warm up to the idea. (These are the same grandparents that come to see the baby *right* after birth -- DS2 was born around 2:30 am and they came for a quick visit about an hour later ... they like to see the new grandbabes right away.)

I'm glad the kids are excited. It's gonna be a rough year or two (or three ...) but we've made it this far!
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can relate about the grandparents (my in-laws) not getting on board right away. We've gone through that with both pregnancies...especially with this current one. I'm already dreading telling them about any future babies since the reaction this time around was SOOOOOOOO bad. You would think based on their reaction that we were unmarried, and about 16 years old. Its too bad...but thankfully they come around. My parents on the other hand are jumping with joy...it couldn't be more different. Anyway, hang in there! It's your life, not theirs Congrats though--and best wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy!!

Last edited by happymama1; 07-26-2008 at 12:22 PM.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm excited for you. We're going to start TTC next month.. I can't wait to hear my dad's reaction.. he thinks that 3 is too many.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaybrook View Post
I'm excited for you. We're going to start TTC next month.. I can't wait to hear my dad's reaction.. he thinks that 3 is too many.

I've met the "other" Mary Claybrook IRL, your SIL (I think) ... she mentioned you were on DS.

Yeah, the timing is "the worst" as far as jobs, and all. But then again, according to some, we can't "afford" the other three so, eh.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE:

My mom called when she got the card I sent. She seemed supportive. "These things happen ..." she says. (My youngest SIS was an "oops" baby ) Plus, as I mentioned before, they enjoy being grandparents.