Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
emarie313
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry ouch! Ouch! OUCH!!

Here recently during these past few weeks DS has become a biter. And usually whaat I do when he does is I say "no biting" or "Ouch that hurts mommy" and I end the nursing session right then. Well now he's getting to where every time he's done nursing he ends it by biting me, and then smiles when i say ouch, or no biting. So all day today I've been really watching him, stoping him when I see him about to bite. Well just now I did that, I turned to say something to DH and he grabbed my nipple, put it in his mouth and bit me!!
How do I stop this??? I almost just want to wean him, cause I'm so tired of this game.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

Advertisement

Get paid to read emails: gainpay Inbox dollars Send earnings
emarie313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
2moms2IDGs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ouch! Ouch! OUCH!!

This too shall pass. What you are doing should work, I would just make sure you not only stop the session but get him away from your nip ASAP!
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
emarie313
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks. I can't believe i totally forgot about kellymom! I sure hope it passes soon. I'm not sure how much more chomping my poor nipples can take.

Get paid to read emails: gainpay Inbox dollars Send earnings
emarie313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes that is just it... he has turned it in to a game. Mine has done that on and off too. He thinks any time I say ouch or no is funny!! I think we have to use ignoring the behavior. It is hard because i cry out before i know it! Lately I have detached him and sat him away from me and ignored him for a minute (turn my back). Sometimes he thinks that is an extension of the funny game, but other times he cries because he wants more milk. It is getting better here though. I am at the point where I am glad I did not wean when i was feeling like you do. It is mostly nice to nurse again. Sometimes I say all done when he he bites, and do the baby sign. But I am afraid he might think biting is a way to signal when he is done, so i am not sure that one is a good idea? But he gets upset when i say it because he is NOT all done yet!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
fergiesgirl86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my thing is to make my reaction loud and stern. that way it has NEVER turned into a game. usually i end up screaming OWWWWW and that scares the living crap out of her; if she laughs at that i put it away, put her down on the floor, and walk away.

the fact that she sees mommy walk away because of it, usually gets the point across.

i heard from one mama that she put her DS down on the floor then stepped OVER him to walk out of the room. when he saw mommy leave the room because of what he'd done (he was 8 or so mos, crawling or walking) he got to his mama and gave her hugs.......

i guess my main point is try doing a total separation of yourself from him when he does that.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
blessedmomof2!
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am in the same boat and she now has 2 teeth at the bottom.. When I say OUCH or no biting, she gives me the saddest face and cries as if her feelings are hurt. And it takes a few minutes to calm her down. My son did the exact same thing and reacted the same way!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

5 teeth now and at the first 2 teeth DS did the same thing down to the *devilish* grin. I just said "no, no. we're done now." and stopped nursing while we stared eye to eye and I said "no more, no more, that hurts". The serious almost mean eye to eye stare and cessation of nursing ( I covered up ) seemed to do the trick. Good luck-the chompers are no fun!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
2moms2IDGs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Identical twins here with identical teeth...one bites I yelped and she cried and thats all it took. The other bites I yelped she smiled a devilish smile. So with her I say "NO BITE" put her down and end nursing. Then try again later. Had to do that a few times but it did eventually work.