Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Help me understand collections? :(

We've have never missed a bill in our entire lives. We've never even carried a balance on a credit card. So I'm SO confused right now.

My husband had a hockey injury in February, necessitating an ER visit.

The hockey league has insurance. They told us not to pay anything until the claim had been run through both our insurance and the hockey insurance.

Hockey insurance took 4+ months to process the claim.
At the same time (like within days, unsure if it was days BEFORE or days AFTER) a portion of the hospital bill ($310) was sent to collections.

So I guess my question is how does collections work?
* Have they already dinged my husband's credit report? (We've never had a credit-report-dinging-event before, so the whole credit report thing is confusing.)
* If so, is there any way to undo the damage? I do have most of my communications w/ the hockey insurance company documented via email, fortunately.
* Does the hockey insurance company pay the collections people directly, or do I? (The phone # on the collections letter puts me on hold for 5 minutes and then feeds me into a voicemail box that is too full for me to leave a message.)

At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Help me understand collections? :(

I don't know the answers to those, but have you talked to the hockey insurance people since you found out the bill had been sent to collections? Maybe they would know what that process is? If they make it a habit to not pay anything for 4 months, then it is possible they have been through this before.
Mom to Micah, born 10/6/08And Isaiah, born 8/23/10
Use Swagbucks and earn free stuff just for being online! Yup, it really is free!
MamaJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
My Mood:
Re: Help me understand collections? :(

We had something like this happen recently.

We paid our bill upon leaving the hospital because they offered a significant discount.

A year later they had sent it to collections. The payment never registered. I basically said the same thing you said. I was not a non payer. I always paid my bill etc. After talking to them they corrected the issue and contacted the credit bureau with a letter of correction.

So I believe this can be fixed but it will take persistence and possibly some letter writing by you.
Here to help if I can.
Shameless referral links: Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. PM me your email for 15% of your first Boden purchase.I use Republic Wireless and I will gladly answer any questions.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Help me understand collections? :(

Our hospital has a collections department. I don't think they file to your credit (maybe they do eventually but they hadn't when ours initially was sent and we caught it up then so it wasn't in collections for very long). Maybe you can ask the collections company (if it's part of the hospital billing dept or if it's an outside company) if they submit it?

That's so frustrating
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote