Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
lotus24
Registered Users
seller

Finding a sitter

I am a teacher. I'm on leave this year but I have to take classes at the U part time to update my certificate. I have to find someone to leave my babe with and I am so clueless! I never let him cry and wear/hold him most of the day; do I have any hope of finding someone who will give him attention like that? And how? I would imagine any in-home daycare providers who advertise have more than one kiddo to watch so they wouldn't be able to devote much of their time to my LO.

Advertisement

lotus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Finding a sitter

Maybe a homeschooled teenager? Especially if you can find one that comes from a home with a lot of kids. My friend found one when she went back to work. The girl was 15, but my friend says she is amazing. She just put out an ad in the paper.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the same boat. My mom has always watched DS, but will be unable to do that full-time in the fall. My DH travels for work and so I will need someone to watch him at least a few days per week. I don't really want to put him in daycare, since he has always been at home, and plus I want him to get that one-on-one attention he's always had. My cousin found a wonderful person near her through craigslist.org, so she suggested I try that. You could try the Seattle craislist page. Sometimes people who live outside of a city will still post on the city's page. You could advertise what kind of person you're looking for on there, aside from doing a search. I also live about a mile from a college, and so I thought I'd also advertise there. Do you live near any colleges? Students are always looking for extra money. I would just prepare questions in advance regarding their philosophy towards child-rearing, just to make sure that theirs are the same as yours. And get references.
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try craigslist or care.com Students are great for a few hours here and there - its fun for them and they are cheaper than more experienced individuals. Also try a SAHM with older children (middle school and HS children) who just want to make some side money. SAHMs are great because they've been there before and adore the younger ones cuz their has grown (I tend to judge their children too in terms of how good of a mom she is - I know its not always fair, but I do think that children brought up a certain way is more likely to succeed). A healthy grandma type may also work (but make certain she is physically able to handle the job). Just depends on the actual person and what you prefer in a caregiver. Oh, and ALWAYS do a background check. GL.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
trippsmom
Registered Users
seller

Location: Little Rock, but my heart is still in Greenville, AL
My Mood:

I agree that I would look for a student. Maybe you could even find one at the University where you work that has a schedule compatible. No one will ever care for your child perfectly the way you do, but you can find a close second
Rachel- CPST - wife to Lester and blessed to be the cd-ing, bw-ing, delay/selective vaxing and extended r****** and b****** pt-SAHM to my little man Tripp 12/22/07 And Aubrey Elisabeth 11/20/2009 My all natural drug-free hospital birth!
Riding in 2 Radian XTSL's, a Coccoro and True Fit Premier
trippsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

I would weed through people on craigslist. I put an ad on craigslist, that I needed childcare, and i do not reccomend you puuting out an ad. It is a waste. I interviewed people who I was almost afraid to walk in their door. THe people who I have found myself by weeding through the ad were the ones I have used 100% of the time. I have found 3 of them. Just trying to find the right balance between babysitting and daycare, you know. I love the lady I use now. She is so sweet, has one child of her own and randomly watches one other kid. SHe treats my kid like her own taking him to family events and stuff. You really can find something good on craigslist. I have faith.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
melinda3443
Come by and see our boutique balls!
seller

Location: Under a heaping pile of dryer balls in South Tennessee!
My Mood:

I am in a playgroup and once I decided to go back to work (when he was 18 months) I posted on our message boards and got a ton of offers from friends to watch him. I pay them the same as I would a daycare center and he gets the personal attention I think he needs all day. I plan on doing this until next summer when I am going to stay home again (hopefully with a new baby on the way!). I found my playgroup at meetup.com and they are wonderful.

melinda3443 is offline   Reply With Quote