Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
kids34778
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Intro and Similac WITHOUT DHA/ARA

Hi everyone. I am usually a lurker but have been reading up on things. We are hoping to EBF this baby that is due in Oct. BUT after planning to do the same the last 2 times and it not working out, I am researching formulas as well. We had great PG's but really bad births and both of our boys were NICU babies that didn't take to the breast once released. I pumped and milk supply dwindled and there you go.

Anywho, that was 6 years ago and BEFORE DHA/ARA supplements being added to formulas. Both of mine were on Similac with Iron. And for awhile mixed with Similac Low Iron. So I am freaked out about all that I read and don't know what to believe but I DO know that my boys are great and both are "gifted" in school (I can't stand that term-so whatever)-but my point is I am not too worried about that additional stuff in the formula. They didn't suffer any known losses

So, that brings me to share with those that are also looking for a formula without it. I am in VA and every Wal-Mart store in my area has Similac with Iron and NO ADDED LIPIDS. They are reduced price as I am sure they are trying to get rid of them since all the formulas have the lipids now so they are priced, $17 for big powder can and $6 for smaller can. I can't remember liquid price as there wasn't much left of that and we never used it anyway. Check the dates, as many I found were OCT 2008. Which we wouldn't be ready to use yet

My biggest worry is that this baby will need something else all the way around, like soy or lactose-free OR that I will run out of the stuff I just bought and never be able to find it and have to switch mid-way

Maybe I'm crazy and I should just do what everyone else does but I have never really rolled that way

Hope this helps someone.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
ZoeyZoo
Registered Users

Re: Intro and Similac WITHOUT DHA/ARA

There is a lot of controversy over it because the company that makes it (Martek Biosciences Corp) uses a very toxic, chemical laden process to make it from algae and fungus.

There is also a lot of controvery with the cans because all excepts Baby's Only (made by Natures One) contain BPA linings. (Even Baby's Only have a BPA top)
ZoeyZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
kids34778
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Intro and Similac WITHOUT DHA/ARA

I've read about the BPA stuff too. I was worried in the beginning since we only use Avent. BUT we only use the disposables (baggies)-horrible on the enviro, I know but I soooo like that we can push out all the air before feeding and that it is sterile every time. The few times we used an Avent hard plastic bottle, we didn't heat them, the milk was warmed first and then filled so I felt ok with that.

The BPA in the formula cans and any canned item for that matter doesn't bother me as much because it is the heating and possible damage or scratches/cracking of that lining that causes the release of toxins. We don't do that. So hope fully we're ok.

I had posted before that I had found BPA free Avent bottles at Target so that is good that they have finally caught on.

Baby's Only Organic is supposed to be good too, without the DHA/ARA and only the top of the can has traces of BPA. BUT we don't do alot of organics, we have switched a few things but it is not our whole diet so I am not as concerned about an organic formula. Over time I think we will become more crunchy as I do admire the lifestyle, but it takes time