Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
curlie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Time between placement and adoption

If you adopted through foster care, how long did it take to finalize your adoption? Is there a required minimum amount of time between the termination of the birth parents' rights and adoption?

Advertisement

curlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Time between placement and adoption

I don't think you want MY answer!

We have had M since just after he turned 3. He's now 8 and we're not final yet! It will be 5 years right after Halloween that he's been with us. Parents' rights have been terminated for 2 years next week, and we're still waiting.

Ours is a weird case, there was lots of medical information that we had a hard time getting from his bio parents, as well as appeals and timing, with dh's deployment to Afghanistan holding it up an extra 6 months.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
amy17green
Registered Users

My Mood:

It depends by state... We have friends that will be able to adopt next month and the tpr was signed in May. This is not the norm for our state though.

It also depends on if you foster before the tpr- if not I would say that the adotion should take place in about 6 months and "visits" from the DSS for a year.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
juclark77
Registered Users

Our daughter was finalized 2 days short of 6 months after placement. With our son, it will be 7 months. Here, there is a 30 day appeal period after TPR, but no other wait related to that. Our lawyer said that we could adopt before the 6 month requirement if the child was attached to us. He just had to file something with the court. We didn't bother cause the wait for a court date was so long that the 6 month requirement was a non-issue.
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Some depends on whether you had the child as a foster child or took placement as a straight adoption after TPR occurred. Most states require 6 months of custody before you can finalize the adoption.

Ds's TPR occurred in December. Due to a case worker who was removed from the case, homecoming didn't occur until late March. He's been home 4 months now and we asked permission to move to finalization and were denied. Because of his emotional and medical issues, we feel an early finalization would be much better for him. And, his lawyers assured us that it is not actually state LAW that you wait the 6 months. However, his case worker is not willing to waive customary protocol, no matter how much it might benefit him.

In 52 days, DH will begin calling the adoption agency daily until we recieve our clearance to finalize.

Oh, and with state adoptions, post-placement supervision does not occur after finalization but prior to it. We just did 4 months of twice a month visitation and will now have to undergo monthly home visits until he is finalized. That is less than what his sending state wanted. They wanted 6 months of weekly visits and our agency told them they were being obtuse and ridiculous with that request.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
heythereheather
Registered Users

We took placement 8/28/07. It was a reunification or relative placement case. In February 08 it became clear that it was unlikely for either of those to happen. In March parental reunification services were terminated. In July, parental rights were terminated. Our adoptions home study was approved in July as well. We're waiting the 60 days after TPR, then we'll be referred to the finalization team. It's all paperwork from here on out. Our social worker says it should be finalized by January for sure, maybe earlier.
heythereheather is offline   Reply With Quote