Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
bugaboo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Books and international adoptions?

Ok...I have been to soo many web sites my head is about to explode. I have seen suggestions on book but I would like to see if anyone here recommend anything.

The plan: To adopt one (if allowed two) boy(s) from Hungary (yes, there are two agencies that still work with Hungary). We plan to start the process in about 1.5 years so our youngest will be 3 when (crossing fingers) the adoption is final. We are looking at age 2 if possible (obviously since we want them to be younger then our youngest). I am looking into the details...I know Russia allows two children (unrelated) that can be adopted at the same time...still trying to see if Hungary has that same policy. I have been on board with adoption for ever (long before I ever got married). DH is slowly getting on board (once he realizes that God has said it is ok to adopt even though you have biological children...I know silly, but this is how he was raised).

So, with that information...what books do you recommend for me and/or DH. We are going to start going to an adoption support group at our church in the next few month (so, there is a starting point). I have talk to my good friend (who was adopted). I just want to make sure I research this as much as I can because I want to go into this with my ears WIDE open.

TIA

(reason for Hungary- I did a summer mission trip and spent 8 weeks in the Budapest area and fell in love with the people/country and feel I would have at least that to connect with the child(ren).)

Advertisement

"Freedom is not Free"

Last edited by bugaboo; 07-31-2008 at 07:02 AM.
bugaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
swmrgrl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Books and international adoptions?

I've really enjoyed reading this book:

Adoption Parenting (by EMK Press)
http://www.emkpress.com/adoptparent.html

It's actually required reading by our agency. But so far, it's the best I've seen. It doesn't have to be read "in order." It is what is says it is, a toolkit, and it has a focus on international adoption.

Good luck! We just started our journey, we're about to finish our homestudy and are working on our dossier for Colombia. We know the wait will be about 2 years, so we're looking at our daughter being about 3, too, when we adopt our second.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
JenS
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, it just makes me so excited!!!!!!

I love hearing that families are adding to their numbers through adoption. And EE has a special place in my heart.

Let's see... you'll really want to get the Eyes Wide Open program. It is full of information.
Books I liked the most: Adopting the Hurt Child, Building the Bonds of Attachment, Attaching in Adoption,

That's a good place to start.
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
rhythmsofgrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another great book on this subject would be:
Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft by Mark Hopkins-Best
Check out my WAHM link: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=524826
rhythmsofgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
bugaboo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is considered a toddler? I consider my little one babies even though my oldest turns 3 in Oct. When adopting...what age is a toddler...is there a standard?

Thanks for all the books...I am already saving money up to get a few. Just curious...are any of them faith-based? Or are there any out there that are?
"Freedom is not Free"
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
bugaboo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenS View Post
Oh, it just makes me so excited!!!!!!

I love hearing that families are adding to their numbers through adoption. And EE has a special place in my heart.

Let's see... you'll really want to get the Eyes Wide Open program. It is full of information.
Books I liked the most: Adopting the Hurt Child, Building the Bonds of Attachment, Attaching in Adoption,

That's a good place to start.
What is this...there is something about credit hours...I am trying to do a search on the internet for this...do you have any more info on this?
"Freedom is not Free"
Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
JenS
Registered Users

My Mood:

For international adoption you typically need 20 hours of "training" depending on who does your homestudy this can be books you read, CD-Rom lessons (Eyes Wide Open), or classes that different agencies offer.
If you adopted domestically the # of hours and specifics of training is state mandated.

So while you prepare and research now, keep track. Each agency will have a % of credit hours that they will allow for each type of educational resource.

Also - Toddler Adoption: The Weavers Craft is an awesome book. It isn't one I could read through. I had to pick it up in smal sections, because it can be very overwhelming. It has some extremes, but I think it is a GOOD idea to be aware of what can happen.

Typically a toddler is going to be any child who is not in the first year of life. When speaking in adoption terms, since they have left that formidable time when attachment is so pinnacle to brain development. All the attachment work we do from that point with post institutionalized kids is repair, so to speak.
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
YnotBhappy
Registered Users

Just out of curiosity (we lived in Budapest for a year) what agencies are working there?
YnotBhappy is offline   Reply With Quote