Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
bluemerle
Registered Users
seller

Best Breast Pump?

I wanted to upgrade to a new breast pump for my 2nd child. I thought if I got one I liked a lot, I would be more inclined to pump (with my first, I only pumped once or twice a day). I've tried both an electric and manual pump in the past and wasn't too crazy about the manual. Is there anything wrong with getting a used breast pump?

Any personal feedback would be much recommended! Thank you!! :-)

Sara

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
christinaleigh
Registered Users

Re: Best Breast Pump?

I wouldn't buy a used breastpump just because they can't guarantee that milk doesn't get in the pump. That being said, I have had 2 Medelas and know that milk never backed up into the pump.

I love my Medelas. I had a PIS advanced and got rid of it because I was done pumping and we were done having kids. Well, #3 came along anyways and I bought a Medela Freehand. I love it. I got it from hackley medical supplies...they have great deals!

Babywearing and proud nursing mom - 3 beautiful children DS 2/01, DD 7/05, DD 3/08 - I'm back at work now. If you are expecting a PM from me be patient as I have limited access at work! If you see me on, I'm probably pumping and sneaking a peak online!
christinaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller

I have an Ameda Purely Yours, and its made so that the milk can't get into the tubes and the motor. It is a lot cheaper than the Medela, and the reviews online are always comparable for those two brands. I wanted a Medela, but couldn't afford one at the time. My Ameda has worked great for me and I am happy spending less on it than I would have another pump.

My problem with a used pump is that you don't know how long/much the pump was used. I would hate to buy a pump with an over used motor that was about to go out or something.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
3girlsboynames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try a Medela Harmony. They are only ~$35, and they work great. I use two of them to double-pump on the days that I work.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love my PISA
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
kimh76
Registered Users
seller

I also have the Medela PIS and love it - definitely worth the money.
kimh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
mom2bean
Registered Users

I wanted a PIS, just not the price tag. My lactation consultant recommended the Avent Isis Duo. I ended up getting the Uno, because I didn't need a dual pump. The Uno was much better priced and it works great, it even has a battery pack for portable pumping. Good luck finding a good one!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
arizonaspring
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd be hesitant about buying a used pump. I considered using a Medela from my sister (before I learned she had also lent it to her SIL).

The price tag was tough to swallow ($220ish) but I really like my Medela PISA. I pump 3x day, 3 days a week (at work) and 1x day the other days. I really need the double pump action at work. I like that I can find "parts" for it (horns, membranes, etc) just about anywhere (ie BRU, Target). Like a pp, I went through Hackley Medical Supplies' website and found that they really did have the best pricing.

I would also really recommend a hands free bra. I bought mine online (best $30 I've spent) through Ebay (it's an Easy Expressions) or kellymom.com has instructions on how to make your own. It helps the pumping time go faster if I have both hands free (say to post here and pump at the same time)!
-G
arizonaspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
CamsMommy
Registered Users
seller

I second the PISA, I use it 4 hours a day and it's still rollin' strong
Old 08-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
firstlynn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went back to work ~ 2 weeks after little one was born n I absolutely love the medela freestyle. takes me about 15mins to set-up, pump & clean everything. I love having my hands free when pumping -- could use the PC or other desk-work! Paid $280 for it -- btw, insurance paid up to 400 for pump AND 'supplies', so remember to ask!

Last edited by firstlynn; 08-03-2008 at 04:15 PM.
firstlynn is offline   Reply With Quote