Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1
pumping and bottle feeding

my lo is 4 weeks old. I'm going to go ahead and try to introduce a bottle for occasional feedings. I'm so confused about when I need to pump though. Do I have to pump at the exact time of a missed feeding? What if the whole reason I need to give a bottle is because it won't be convenient for me to feed or pump? I'm so worried I'm going to somehow screw up my supply by introducing a bottle, but I will be working part time again in a few weeks, and will have to give him a bottle at least once or twice a week. Please tell me how to pump with bottle feeding!

literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: pumping and bottle feeding

first congrats. second I think as long as you don't go more then say 3hrs w/o pumping or nursing you should be ok supply wise but to be on the safe side you may not want to go more then 2-2 1/2 hrs until your LO is alittle older
Jennifer~tattooed mama to 5 fabulous kids!
mom2piddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: pumping and bottle feeding

I have been almost exclusively pumping for the last 3 months. I'd pump right after a feeding to get a "freezer stash" about 3 to 4 times per day.

When away from the baby, pump every 2 to 3 hours... depending on how much your LO is eating, and how much you are pumping. (if you pump little amounts, pump every 2 hours... big amounts, pump every 3)

But no, you don't have to pump EXACTLY when giving a bottle... but just make sure it's in the "timeline"

Congrats on the baby, and good luck!
Ali, SAHM to Cameron born April 6. 2008 & Ethan born December 8. 2010
CamsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote