Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Blankie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help everyone is telling me to stop BF my almost 4month old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygrl6 View Post
When it comes to BFing, I'm a BIG proponent of setting boundaries. I'd state once more that you are going to nurse your son until those directly involved in the nursing relationship decide its over and that its not up for discussion. Then I'd promptly remove myself from the room, the house, the phone, whatever each and every time its mentioned.

Give a couple reasons, if you really desire but I'd probably skip because they don't sound like they care to hear.

Advertisement

Blankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

tell them to keep their mouths shut.

i have a 4 month old and my dh's aunt was tyring to get me to let him taste CHEESECAKE tonight. I just firmly said No. Repeatedly, every time they mentioned letting him chew on a carrot for teething, i said NO.

actually, im kind of a mama bear so i'd be telling them to kiss my butt and mind their own business. if they want a kid to feed, have their own, because I FEED MY KID.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
0351wife
Registered Users

Hey Yeah when my MIL gave my middle LO a bottle i was soo mad.... i didnt go see them for a long time over it all i was so pissed! and with this one i told them i will breast feed him till he is 12 if i wanted to haha(not htat i would really bf till 12 but ya know) no mater how mean or harsh i am she just gets worse wiht me! and my DH told her..mom just leave her alone he dont like bottles...abd BF is better... u wnat him to starve do u ....and she said u can make him like them..GRR i just get so mad...lol! thanks for all the support! oh yeha she also gets pissed if i feed DS wiht out a blanket on GRR i am not putting a blanket on get over it... i just feed him and shes always trying to cover me nad i just take it off and say he dont liek the blanket hes fine let him eat why are ppl so clueless about BF..its Natural....not gross... thanks again Mamas!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
knit~it~good
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't listen to them! Do what is best for you and your baby. I BF my oldest until he was 13 mths and I will BF with Sawyer for as long as I can.

Brodie(oldest) trys to BF a toy money and Sawyer. Its so cute!

My Facebook fan page!
knit~it~good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #15
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't listen to them. Listen to your baby and your heart. My MIL flat out told me that "women who bf after a year a stupid, just give that kid a sippy already" - after I told her I'm bfing our son until at least 18mo and through the next pregnancy if we concieve before then.

No, I don't feel the need to "get my body back", no I don't wish someone else could feed him (they can give him crackers or solids or whatever - plus, if they want some alone time there's always a dipe to be changed!!) and I'm too darn lazy to get up at 6am and make a bottle, I just bring baby back to bed with me and we fall asleep. What's better than that?!

I say be strong, Momma, and do what you feel is best for you - not what works for other people.

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
ladyvno
Registered Users

Maybe everytime she starts in on you say "we've already discussed this" and keep saying that. Therefore she's not pulling you into an argument. I find that works with DH on other issues, lol.
ladyvno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
bigmamaH
Registered Users

My Mood:

I find it best, when people are pressuring me like they are you, to take a deep breath, put a smile on your face and say thanks for the advice but it is my responsibility to make choices that are in the best interest of ~son's name~. I have educated myself about this, and breastfeeding is the absolute best thing I can feed him. Yes, it might be inconvienant, but being a mom is about putting your kids needs in front of your own a lot of the time. I have made a commitment to this child to provide the best I can for him and I would appreciate your support and encouragement. I know you love him and want what's best for him, right? Take yourself off of the defensive, and take a stand for your little man!! (I also second sweetly asking your husband to speak to his mother, if you can stand together against her she might be more likely to BACK OFF!) Good luck and you can do it!!
bigmamaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #18
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with others about setting boundaries. I would say, "As I have told you before, I plan to continue BFing DS until he is at least ___. If you would like to know the many benefits of BFing, I would be happy to explain. Otherwise, let's drop it. It's not something up for debate, my mind is made on the subject."

There is another thread on Breastfeeding Support about dealing with MIL comments that you may find helpful. You should check it out.

I think the important thing is to not let it get under your skin. Many comments people make have more to do with their own decisions and how they feel about them, than you or what you are doing. Some mothers and grandmothers who did not BF (or did so only for a short time), feel as though to admit it is better is some kind of a knock against them or their parenting. So, they would rather not become informed and support you doing what is best for your baby.

I just try to chalk it up to outdated parenting advice, that we since know better about. Just like: put cereal in their bottle to help them sleep, babies should start solids at 1 or 2 months old, kids should be potty trained by the time they are 2 y/0, holding a baby too much will spoil them and blah, blah, blah.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #19
lsmith073104
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i feel for you mama, but keep going. Youa re doing what is right for you and your baby.
Tell her about the immunities your baby is getting by nursing, how your body will adjust to his differing needs as he grows (find a formula to do that!), the money saving, time saving, water saving benefits.
As fa as no one else gets to feed him-- so what.. if she wants to feed other children, you have 2 others. play tea party with them.
my daughter is 8 and when i nursed my now 18 month old son, she would get a baby and do the same thing. she tells me she wants to nurse her babies when she grows up. (my DS was put on formula eventually, and she said its a real hassle... from the mouth of babes )
And who is she to decide what is "fair" for you?? if you are willing to do it, then its none of her business. Tell her you dont think its "fair" to assume someone else should have to stop every 2 hours to feed him either.
stick to your guns mama! i know its tough, i got some stares when my son was getting about that age too... and by the time he was six months old they were asking .. "are you STILL nursing him?".. why yes, yes i am (was) and was happy about it. who wants to get up in the middle of the night to make a bottle? God gave you the perfect feeding machine.. use it
SAHM to DD (12/99) , DS #1 (1/07) , DS #2 (10/08) , and DS #3 (01/14) !
, modified cosleeping, vaxing, circing, and trying to be super crunchy!
lsmith073104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #20
lilymay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Your the mother and you know what he likes. I can't stand selfish people especially when they tell you what your child likes or doesn't like.

You keep up the good work
lilymay is offline   Reply With Quote