Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
dmagsam
Registered Users
seller

donated breast milk

This may sound strange and like a "no brainer" but I wanted to see what other adopting moms think. My sister breast feeds my nephew and has extra milk. She has volunteered to pump a couple of times a day and freeze the extra milk for us to use when "our" baby is born in December. (I say "our" because it feels like we're expecting--but of course it's really the birthmom's baby at this point). I know she probably won't have enough milk to last the first year of our baby's life being that my nephew is already 8 months old, so we would probably need to switch to formula at some point.

Also, my sister isn't the most healthy eater in the world (not a lot of fruits & veggies), but her 2 boys have thrived on her milk. She says she would follow a specific diet if we wanted her to, but since she's offering to do this for us I don't want to put any major restrictions on her or make it so difficult that she wishes she hadn't offered. If the milk is good enough for my nephews, it's probably good enough for my baby...right?

Any ideas, reactions, suggestions, etc?

Advertisement

dmagsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
z'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: donated breast milk

I was given that option from a friend and at the time decided (because he had already arrived and we were having a bit of reflux/formula issues) to not do it. But if someone offers again with #2, I'm going to ask my doc how we can do that. I want to make sure babe is getting enough but surely would love to have breast milk. Even if we have to supplement with formula.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Ariana'sClothesline
Registered Users
Formerly: isfahel
seller

I would say go for it! I am by far not the healthiest eater out there and my babies are thriving Your body will take what it needs from it to produce milk, so the mother is the one who is going to end up with deficiency's... Lol, I know all this and still I find it hard to eat right. Breastmilk would be soooo good for an adopted baby, I would jump all over that, even if it's only for a few months.
www.arianasclothesline.com
Ariana'sClothesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
borabora511
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama... I'm excited for your upcoming adoption... I have a freezer full of milk and my DS doesn't take bottles- thru someother post here, I found something called MilkShare (I think it's www.milkshare.org)- and it's a place where mamas can donate bm if they over produce, and other mamas can find milk locally if they have low supply or are adopting, etc...

I found a woman who lives about 2 hrs from me, and she fully used other mamas breastmilk with her 1st adopted son, and now she has a little girl who is 3 months old and soley on others breastmilk. She's never had formula...She's sending me bm bags and I'm excited to meet her and her little girl!

I feel very priveledged to help support someone else's goal of fully breastfeeding their baby even if they can't physically do it!

If we were to ever adopt- I would definitely look for someone close so I could "breastfeed" my baby!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
mom2jpd
Registered Users

My Mood:

I say go for it! What an awesome option. I tried to relactate to nurse our adoptive daughter but she was 11 mos old and not interested.

Mom 2 Jake, Parker, & Dori
My Graphic Design Biz: Custom Blog Designs
mom2jpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
dmagsam
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your responses. Since posting I have heard that it's best to use milk produced for the same-age baby as you'll be feeding it to...so don't know whether to use my sis' or not. Milkshare sounds interesting, though! I see you have to pay a one-time fee of $15 to post on the site, but if other mamas recommend it that makes me feel more comfortable. And $15 is nothing. After looking into milk banks, I find that they charge $3-7 per OUNCE--there's no way we can afford that.
dmagsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
andrea0324
Registered Users

My Mood:

I 2nd milkshare--I met my "milk-daughter" there. I helped feed her until she was 16mos old. She was 4 months older than my daughter, but her parents reported her thriving on my milk mixed with formula to be enough for her. She had some reflux issues with just formula, but a little BM made it go down much more smoothly!

I blog! Stop on by! www.northernlightsmama.blogspot.com
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
teleana22
Registered Users
seller

I would absolutely take the milk!! as long as she doesn't smoke do drugs or drink excessively. even though her baby is older, it would still be better than formula. i think most milk banks take milk as long as the nursing baby is under age 1. my ds in ebf, and i was just telling his dad the other day(yes i think of crazy things) if anything was to happen to me before he was 2 i would want him to find donated bm for our baby, and absolutely NOT give him formula. lol, i even gave him a local lll leaders card. gl and congrats!!

Teleana
teleana22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
livvy1216
Registered Users

My Mood:

Starving and very under/malnurioushed women can produce very healthy milk for their babies. As long as drugs or alcohol are not involved, you probably don't need to worry.

it is a good point about the milk "aging" with the baby. however, i would think "mature" human milk is still a healthier, better choice for a newborn than formula.
livvy1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
juclark77
Registered Users

I would take the milk! I induced lactation, and I was thrilled to get some BM from a friend before I got a full supply of my own.
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote