Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #91
Shawna_L
Banned

Re: Why don't people breastfeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_of_3g_1b View Post
I saw lots of moms using shields in the NICU. Those nurses were so helpful with bfing.
I'm glad to hear this is the experience that some women have while baby is in the NICU. It was NOT the experience that I had. I did not see a LC until 7 days after DS was born, after asking on a daily basis to see one. The nurses were not helpful, often provided poor/conflicting advice, and seemed to view it as an inconvenience that we had chosen to breastfeed. It was stressful and disappointing, especially considering we were in a well-respected, "state of the art" NICU.

I suppose it just supports the point that each experience is unique and each woman's choice whether or not to breastfeed is personal and unique.

Advertisement

Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #92
Teresa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all these replies. Please keep posting.

Last edited by Teresa; 10-12-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #93
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
I really don't like these threads. There is always judgment towards people who choose to ff. I don't think any mother needs to justify her feeding choices. It really doesn't matter why a mother chooses to bf or ff, nor is it anyone's business.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #94
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Quote:
I really don't like these threads. There is always judgment towards people who choose to ff. I don't think any mother needs to justify her feeding choices. It really doesn't matter why a mother chooses to bf or ff, nor is it anyone's business.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #95
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never intended for my ds to ever have any formula. I was pro BF all the way- until I started having plugged ducts when he was 7 weeks old. I would get one cleared up, and then get another on the other side (soooooo painful). It ended up reducing my supply by 2/3 over the next few months. I went to several LC's and LLL for help- noone knew what was going on with me. I did have to supplement with formula- I cried when I fed him the first bottle. It was such a different experience than I had imagined. I tried everything (pumping, extra nursings, oatmeal, barley, herbs, tea, etc....)to increase my supply and my body wouldn't respond.
But, ds will be 1 year old next month and we're still nursing in the mornings and at night with formula and table food during the daytime.
I've had several friends who chose to FF- one chose that route because she wanted her body back to herself, the other because she thought (and still does) that formula is just as good (regardless of research) and more people could help take care of the baby if she FF.
chameleon607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #96
MY THREE BOYS
Registered Users

I REALLY WANTED TO BF BUT HAD KIDNEY STONES BADLY WITH ALL THREE SONS AND COULDNT BECAUSE OF THE PAIN KILLERS ,I WAS ON AND AFTER THAT MY BREASTS DIDNT HAVE TO MUCH LEFT FOR THEM ...
MY THREE BOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #97
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
This is why i posted EARLY in the thread for everyone to be nice. I am a mom who did both, but plan to bf all future children. But i also understand manyof thie issues. Even though i did BF all of my children to some extent, i still struggled greatly.

We all do what we feel is best for our babies. Some would DIE that i feed my kids Mc'D's weekly, but Oh well, MY choice.... It doesnt mean i am lazy or less of a mother. Just like ppl who chose to ff arent lazy, or less of a mother.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #98
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth View Post
BFing is HARD and does not come naturally for every one
Ditto, except, I would say bf'ing doesn't come "naturally" for anyone! lOL!
My DD is still bf'ing a LOT at 15 months, but bf'ing isn't as easy as a lot of mamas make it out to be, or that I think people expect it to be.
I think a lot of women who are uneducated or uninformed think, oh, I'll just do it, no big deal, but it is a big deal. It takes lots of time, lack of sleep and work, and I think that is unexpected for a lot of people, so they think they are having problems, when really, they are experiencing what everyone experiences in the beginning. Especially with the first one.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #99
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was in the NICU and the hospital I had him in was horrible and I could not bf him for quite awhile, I never got a full milk supply and even with the help of my LLL (a friend) and another friend and my dr I dried up after 4 weeks..so ds went on formula and a bottle fulltime
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #100
A'smommy
Registered Users

I think if my mom had not come to visit us when she did (DD was 2 weeks old) I might not have been able to continue BFing. I was trying and trying to manage a latch that didn't make me want to climb the walls, but I could barely sit up (sutures and I was afraid to take the painkillers). I had trouble with the football hold and side-lying...sitting up seemed to be the best way to go, but I could only stand it for very short periods. DD was a ravenous nurser and in the words of the pedi delivery nurse, "had a very strong latch." I wanted to tell her she didn't have to tell ME that!

I was very discouraged by the other nurses (the one at DD's birth was WONDERFUL, but the others were awful). I kept calling for help after we got to our room, but they didn't know how to help me and there was no LC at that hospital. I was *very* committed to nursing DD and had a large group of pro-BFing friends that kept me going. I had gone to LLL meetings before she was born and read everything I could get my hands on. I also had a close friend who was a LLL leader and she took several of my most desperate calls. I was terrified that I'd have to pay some outrageous amount for a LC house call (later found out not all of them charge the big bucks).

But my mom saved the experience for me by telling me to change the way I was holding my breast. I have big boobs; I was trying to do the "C-hold" like they taught us in the hospital childbirth class but it wasn't working. Basically choking up a bit on it made all the difference.

All that to say, I think a lot of women who don't breastfeed (excepting those who make a conscious choice not to and those who just *can't*---there are some out there) give up from lack of support from experienced helpers. Sometimes it's just too much (as for one friend of mine who moved 300+ miles when her son was 2 weeks old). I tried once to help a friend who wanted to "try" BFing...she ended up pumping and supplementing. My DH told me at one point to "back off." I did/do feel very passionately about it and thought if I could just convince her to try the SNS it would go so much easier for her. But she said she "just wasn't comfortable with that." It broke my heart but I had to back off. We're still friends. I cried when we moved cause our babies were supposed to go to kindergarten together.

for the mamas who worry the other AP mamas will judge them for not BFing. Our American society is soo super-competitive anyway; it's sad to me that BFing is just another way to keep score. Moms have enough on their plates without another thing to guilt-trip over.