Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why don't people breastfeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetodance View Post
My mom nursed, my sister nurses, my friends all nurse. But in my husbands family (several states away) no one nurses, none of their friends nurse. It was hard enough figuring how to do it will all of the support I had, I can't imagine trying in a environment where no one breastfeeds.
NO ONE in my family nurses and they think I'm weird for doing it. IT IS hard doing it without support and that rang true with my first because I gave up, quitting was the only thing any of them supported me in. Now that DD is 9 months old, everyone keeps saying stuff like "You better stop now before she doesnt let you" and "isnt she a little old for that??"
It drives me NUTS. But that isn't going to stop me!

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #12
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

I didn't bf my ds. It was just a personal choice. I didn't even think about it. My mom didn't bf and nobody I knew did. I was also 19 when he was born, and a single mom. I was living with my parents and didn't think I would be comfortable bfing in front of them. (Although now I put DD in her sling and bf away!)
Old 10-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #13
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

I feel like the outsider by not breastfeeding-- both my mom and MIL breastfeed, my mom until 2 or 3 with both my brother and myself (and even through pregnancy)-- our grandmothers all breastfeed when it wasn't common-- my cousin, my aunts, my friends.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #14
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmommy View Post
. But she's not even married yet so perhaps I can change her mind!

What does being married have anything to with Bfing or not?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My aunt BF both of her girls, I think until they were about 2...but its been awhile My mom didnt BF any of us. She had 4 kids in 3yrs & was pretty much a single parent. I was unable to BF due to breast reduction, I dont even produce milk.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #16
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama View Post
What does being married have anything to with Bfing or not?
I don't think it has anything to do with it. I wasn't married when I had my first even tho I lived with her father, and I was single when I had my second and I breastfed both.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #17
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first ds I bf for 4 weeks - we had lots of latch problems and I had no idea how to fix them. I was cracked and bleeding and because of this not making enough milk. The pedi told me to start supplimenting because that would help well my supply went down from there and I didn't have any education on bf. With my ds#2 we started bf then about 3 weeks into it we stopped and started bottle feeding. I had pp depression, was in a lot of pain from the csection and basically our whole world was crashing down. I was also upset cause I had to go back to work when he was 7 weeks old. I did keep pumping and tried to restart bf again when I felt a little better however it didn't work very well but he did get at least one bottle of bm everyday till he was 6 months old. Now with ds#3 he is 14 months and still bf. I think a lot has to do with education as I researched everything with ds#3 as I was determined to make it work. My sister just had her first and I supported her and helped her but she still quit after 2 months. It is very incovienient for some people and they listen to their pedi when they say they aren't growing enough even though they are growing steadily (I did the same with ds#1). Sorry this got so long.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #18
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard severaol reason I was not BF becaseu my dad wouldnt let my mom( and they wound up separated when i was 6 weeks old anyway)

I know for many women, if they have been sexually abused, this can be a BIG issue. For my first it was an issue with me, adn my husband RARELY gets to get near my breasts. It was something ih ad to work thru. I nursed my oldest for only 4 months. but my second was self weaned at 11 months and mylastwasself weaned at 13months.

Lack of support is a bigdeal too for many. BFing is HARD and does not come naturally for every one, and every baby is different. If the support is not there, it is easier to bottle feed

Also the media has an effect on some. They swear up and down, they have figured out the "special ingredients" that are in breast milk, so now formula is just as good.

also i think lack of education. For Nurses, docs, moms, support ppl, sales ppl. Just lack of BFing info all together... I think it kind ofgoes hand in hand as to why many choose not to cloth diaper.. Lack of education on the subject....

Anyone can bottle feed lovingly. I dont mind seeing other bottle feed, if that is what they choose( or dont choose but have no choice) i just HATE seeing propped bottles...

I hope everything i said came out as lov8ingly as itwas meant....
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #19
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with it. I wasn't married when I had my first even tho I lived with her father, and I was single when I had my second and I breastfed both.
Apparently it does because someone else said "she isnt married yet so maybe I can change her mind" but I didnt think BFing had anything to do with being married, unmarried, young, old, whatever, whatever...
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #20
mamachandi
Registered Users

I bf'd all 3 (currently bf'ing my 3rd,she's 18mo...)my oldest is 12 and she was bf'd until 2 1/2 and my 2nd as well til 2 1/2. i did not have any support. My 2 sisters said they bf'd but they only til 6 weeks. everyone in my family thinks I am gross for doing it so long. But I could give a crap what they think,haha...I do think it must be hard for *some* women to bf if they have no support but i *do* think it is a weak excuse if you are informed and educated about the benefits and still don't do it. The baby deserves to get the best food possible, but thats my opinion,not to make anyone upset...
I did it and did not have any supprot. I don't know how I became so tough even at 22 when i had my 1st...I am thankful though. It is sad though if you *can't* due to physical issues and you want to...