Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #21
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why don't people breastfeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth View Post
I have heard severaol reason I was not BF becaseu my dad wouldnt let my mom( and they wound up separated when i was 6 weeks old anyway)

I know for many women, if they have been sexually abused, this can be a BIG issue. For my first it was an issue with me, adn my husband RARELY gets to get near my breasts. It was something ih ad to work thru. I nursed my oldest for only 4 months. but my second was self weaned at 11 months and mylastwasself weaned at 13months.

Lack of support is a bigdeal too for many. BFing is HARD and does not come naturally for every one, and every baby is different. If the support is not there, it is easier to bottle feed

Also the media has an effect on some. They swear up and down, they have figured out the "special ingredients" that are in breast milk, so now formula is just as good.

also i think lack of education. For Nurses, docs, moms, support ppl, sales ppl. Just lack of BFing info all together... I think it kind ofgoes hand in hand as to why many choose not to cloth diaper.. Lack of education on the subject....

Anyone can bottle feed lovingly. I dont mind seeing other bottle feed, if that is what they choose( or dont choose but have no choice) i just HATE seeing propped bottles...

I hope everything i said came out as lov8ingly as itwas meant....
ITA - no one told me how HARD breastfeeding was going to be. Everyone just told me to do it which was a given to me from Day 1. When I was in the hospital I had NO Help what so ever, the "nurse" just practically shoved DD on my boob and nothing happened - gee I wonder why - she never said "she needs to latch on" or whatever. I had no idea what a proper latch was!!!!!! I was so frustrated by Day 4 I was in tears, exhausted, frustrated, annoyed, etc...I can see how easy it can be to not do it. I would have, but thank god for my DH who saved the day and got DD to latch on.

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #22
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ijust wanted to add here, that i dont think anyone choose to bottle feed becasue they dont want to do what is "best"
Everyone has differnt ideas. I know several young teenage moms, who did extended breastfeeding( one was 14 when she had her baby and BF for 2 years)
I also know severeal VERY educated moms,who just decided BFing wasntbest for them inthere own situation.
We all do the best that we can. Breatfeeding does NOT make you a good mother. Feeding your baby and loving them does...
Lets be nice please...

Last edited by nothing_butt_cloth; 10-12-2006 at 11:44 AM.
nothing_butt_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #23
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth View Post
Ijust wanted to add here, that i dont think anyone choose to bottle feed becasue they dont want to do what is "best"
Everyone has differnt ideas. I know several young teenage moms, who did extended breastfeeding( one was 14 when she had her baby and BF for 2 years)
I also know severeal VERY educated moms,who just decided BFing wasntbest for them inthere own situation.
We all do the best that we can. Breatfeeding does NOT make you a good mother. Feeding your baby at all does

Lets be nice please...
Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #24
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom never breastfed and actually tried to talk me out of it! I think she thinks it's disgusting or something. The only person in my family that bf was my husband's mother, and she only did it for a short time because she had to go back to work.

I do think that people who have to supplement may just decided that it's easier to go ahead and do all formula. I have to supplement DS, and some days I'm like, "Why am I making this harder on myself? I have to nurse him, then give him a bottle. My life would be so much easier if I just did one or the other." But my milk supply just isn't sufficient for him and won't be. So while I am still sucessfully breastfeeding at 6 months even with supplements, I can understand why other mother may not want to go through everything tha tI've been through.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #25
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama View Post
ITA - no one told me how HARD breastfeeding was going to be. Everyone just told me to do it which was a given to me from Day 1. When I was in the hospital I had NO Help what so ever, the "nurse" just practically shoved DD on my boob and nothing happened - gee I wonder why - she never said "she needs to latch on" or whatever. I had no idea what a proper latch was!!!!!! I was so frustrated by Day 4 I was in tears, exhausted, frustrated, annoyed, etc...I can see how easy it can be to not do it. I would have, but thank god for my DH who saved the day and got DD to latch on.
I rememrber with my first, the nurse came in and GRABBED my breast( again big sexual abuse issues, and felt VERY violated) and shoved it in my DD face. When i left the hospital we were nursing fine. but when i got home nad had no help ( i had help every latch in the hossy) i was lost. I will never forget sitting up in bed 3 days after she was born. In tears, banging my head against the wall. tellinghubby to get her a bottle. It is very frustrating

My biggest issue was i was told the ENTIRE areaola had to go in babies mouth. I have LARGE ones, and there was NO way. After i went to an IBCLC and spent a months mortgage, she had me retrained to knowthat is not the case... just most of it needs to go in..
It is so hard, and i rermember feeling relieved when i stopped BFing at 4 months But i was pregnant and that was an excuse i was waiting for
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #26
sheri_b
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Apparently it does because someone else said "she isnt married yet so maybe I can change her mind" but I didnt think BFing had anything to do with being married, unmarried, young, old, whatever, whatever...
I think what she was trying to say was that the girl wasn't even married yet so the pp had plenty of time to try and change her mind. Meaning that the girl wouldn't be pregnant anytime soon.
sheri_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #27
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

I nursed both of my kids...I am still nursing my DS and he is 18 months old. I can't even believe it - and I mean nursing him like 7 times a day, lol!! I weaned my DD at 7 months - really, she started getting formula at about 2 months, a couple times a week, and it turned into a major slippery slope...by 7 months she just wasn't interested anymore in nursing.

With my DS, I was more determined to keep it up - he got almost no formula in his first year, none before he was 5 months old, and no bottle at all until he was about 3 months...18 months old now and still nursing like a champ with no signs of stopping. We are self weaning...so whenever he's ready is fine with me...

to the op's question, I think it has a lot to do with support - at least for women who quit early on. For those who never want to - I think a lot of women are super uncomfortable with nursing - many of my friends who don't BF at all view their breasts as sexual objects only. I dunno - I am sure everyone has their own reasoning.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #28
jennylou
Registered Users

My sil and I are the only ones of the younger generation who have nursed their babies. One cousin said she tried, but gave up while she was still in the hospital b/c her milk didn't come in - um, hello, it usually doesn't in first time moms until a few days (she was only in the hospital for 2 days).

That said, if I didn't have the support of our wonderful hospital BF support group, I don't think I would have made it past six weeks (we're at 9 weeks today!). I had horrible, horrible pain. My nipples were cracked and scabbing. I was miserable, cringing everytime she'd latch, sometimes screaming outloud in pain. But, knowing that she was gaining and thriving (through the support group we do weekly weigh ins) kept me going. And I'm stubborn and WANTED to BF, and here we are, still going. Around 5.5 weeks suddenly things got so much easier and I wasn't in as much pain. Now, it's only painful occassionally, when DD latches wrong, and I just detach her and relatch and we're good to go. I'm so happy that I kept going even though I so wanted to quit. If I'd have quit, I'd be kicking myself now.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #29
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I really understand it's hard w/out support, I'm constantly getting cut down when it comes to nursing and I fully intend to self wean. You can't use that as a whole "reason"
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #30
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Apparently it does because someone else said "she isnt married yet so maybe I can change her mind" but I didnt think BFing had anything to do with being married, unmarried, young, old, whatever, whatever...
I think what the pp was saying is that the person she was speaking of isn't married yet and has no kids. Therefore, she has no experience on breast or bottle feeding and that hopefully by the time she does get married and/or has kids she will be more informed.

Correct me if I'm wrong.