Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me it IS possible to have a V2BAC after Failure to Progress

DS #1 was born by c/s after a 24+ hour on and off labor after my water broke. You know the drill, pitocin, couldn't get past 4 cm and they worry about infection. I got to 4 cm rather quickly and then nothing, hour after hour and well into the evening. I was so tired, I just wanted to get him out and see him healthy.

Anyway, was talked out of vbac with ds#2 because of his large head (ended up having external hydrocephalus).

I talked with my mw and she said there is no reason why I can't try for a V2BAC, but that my likelihood of success isn't that great. I want to hear success stories, please! I'd rather try and fail then not try at all. Laboring is good for the baby, right? Better than a scheduled c/s?

Brenda

Advertisement

massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me it IS possible to have a V2BAC after Failure to Progress

I don't see why the likelihood isn't that great. Maybe you need to find a Midwife who believes in you and your body.

Your #1 sounds very typical (as was my #1)

I haven't had my VBA2C but a GREAT support team is what you need and people who believe in you! I so recommend the book "The Silent Knife" it is amazing and has such wonderful success stories of women with the same previous births as you and awful births where their DRs told them they could NEVER push a baby out and they did!!

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I had an identical experience with ds 1, and my ob told me the same thing- that I could of course try, (they call it a "trial of labor") but the odds of having a successful vbac was not good, especially since we knew my babies weren't big at all with 13" head and chest measurements and around 7lbs.

My doctor told me that he discouraged it in my case because he felt that I would make myself weak trying and that it would further complicate the c/s he felt I would likely need and make my recovery from the surgery slower. It didn't really have much to do with the babies, he felt that as long as my water wasn't broken they'd be ok, it was more concern for my health and the potential for damage to my uterus, b/c he knew we wanted more children.

I don't mean to be a "downer", of course I hope you achieve your goal, lots of women have! I've been in your place though, wanting a natural delivery SO badly, but being physically unable to do it. I think the push for vbac is becoming as great as breastfeeding, the stigma that if you are unable to do it that you've somehow failed. from a three-times c/s mama. Its not an easy way out to choose the c/s. It's a hard decision and one that you can't take lightly. Good luck!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
ambered
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did it! My first was an emergeny c/s for true fetal distress. My second was an unneccesary c/s for FTP. I went to just over 43 weeks, was tired, scared, dropped by my ob, and my mw was wishy washy (had dual care, planned for a hbac). After just 14 hours or so of awful pit induced labor with the on call doc who had to take me since nobody else would, I was only at 3 cm. Turned out ds was over 10lbs, but I still think with more time and better support I could have done it. BUT then I had a glorious HBA2C in 'Aug '06, and my healthy 9 pound little guy will be 2 in a few weeks! I'm also doing it again in December with number 4. You CAN do it! Please check out the ICAN group (google), there's a ton of success stories on there, pm me if you'd like!
ambered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a personal experience story but I definitely think it is possible. My big suggestion is to take very seriously everything you put into your body over the course of this pregnancy. Eat very carefully and make sure you are getting a very well rounded diet with lots of good, healthy fats, protein and fresh fruits and veggies.

I would also, highly, highly suggest that you start taking Red Raspberry Leaf Tea so that you can start toning your uterus and it will also help to make sure that your body has the right balance of vitamins and minerals. I would also, in addition to your prenatals, take a good calcium/magnesium supplement. Lack of calcium/magnesium can cause all sorts of labor problems and it also makes contractions hurt more. You can learn more about the tea stuff from my blog if you want but there is a wealth of information about it on the net too. It helps if you have a midwife that is very fluent in herbs. Before committing to this midwife I would also find out what her hospital transfer rate is. Midwives are great, I have one, but they are not all created equal and in your situation you want the best of the best of the best. You want a midwife that has a good track record of helping women to have VBAC's. If she doesn't have that experience you need to keep looking. You don't want to be a "test case."

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes and you need a truly supportive midwife.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
I don't see why the likelihood isn't that great. Maybe you need to find a Midwife who believes in you and your body.

Your #1 sounds very typical (as was my #1)

I haven't had my VBA2C but a GREAT support team is what you need and people who believe in you! I so recommend the book "The Silent Knife" it is amazing and has such wonderful success stories of women with the same previous births as you and awful births where their DRs told them they could NEVER push a baby out and they did!!

Good luck!
i agree with Diana 100% !!!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

How your body reacts to a chemically altered, essentially artificial labor is not how it will react to a normal, healthy, spontaneous labor in which mom isn't exhausted/stressed out/other inhibiting factors. I see no reason why you can't go for a VBAC! I would switch midwives though, she does not sound like she really has your best interest at heart...and your best interest is, of course, barring any problems, a vaginal birth!

Will you be doing this at home or in the hospital? That can play a big part in how supportive your CP is. I am recieving tandem care from homebirth MWs as well as hospital CNMs, and the difference is like night and day. It can also make a big difference in how all of this will play out, too. Between my personal unease with a hospital setting and the unsupportiveness of the CNMs, I strongly feel I wouldn't be able to successfully VBAC there unless I walked in at 10 cm and the baby fell out on the floor. Homebirth isn't for everyone, but it's something to consider if your other option is an unsupportive hospital-based MW. Definitely shop around and find someone who WILL back you up for your VBAC, and not either cut you off at the starting gate or just blow smoke up your butt for 9 months and then change your tune when you show up in labor (BTDT!).

Best of luck to you mama, I think you have a great shot at doing this if you find a good CP and take very good care of yourself and your baby during this prenancy. A VBAC is always worth fighting for!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I will ad I LOVE the office of OB's/Midwives that take care of me. She was giving me statistics. She was totally ok with me trying. As a matter of fact, 2 friends of mine just had successful vbac's with the same office. Their situation was a little different as their first was breech. She said she successfully had a patient vbac after 3 c/s. I have faith they are the BEST group of women to help me. This is why I'm going with midwives over OB's this time though.

Brenda
massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
dornmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out www.ican-online.org for lots of great information and sucess stories.
Terra, wife to James (10.16.05), mama to Sasha (born via c/s 8.4.06), my sweet angel boy in heaven Glenn (born still on 5.2.08 my VBAC angel), George (born via VBAC on 11.17.09), June 2011 and September 2011 .
dornmama is offline   Reply With Quote