Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Foster Care question

My husband and I have been considering starting foster care for several years and now we think it's time. Before I go and see if we are able to, I was wondering, for those of you that have gone through the process, is it possible to set "limits", like we only would like a child under the age of 5. That's really the main thing, we don't care about anything else, it's just we're young ourselves and we have a young child and we feel it would be best if we could say we're open for kids under 5. Is that even possible??

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
starstruck444
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Foster Care question

Yep. We could be licensed for more but chose to only have 1 placement at a time (unless there are siblings) We also only do Newborns to 5 years old. They tell you that it isn't a good idea to disrupt the birth order in your family and our oldest is 6.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Awesome! Also, are foster children aloud to share bedrooms with your own kids?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Rules vary from state-to-state, but here you can specify exactly the kind of child you want (or don't want)....but they each need their own space 5 feet by 10 feet (two in a 10x10 room) and they can't share with your kids.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are lic'd for all ages but only take newborn to 2yrs old for now.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
JenS
Registered Users

My Mood:

In our state foster kids can share with your kids, so I guess that is one of those state dependant issues.
We specified we'd be open to age 4 and younger, again not to disrupt birth order. They also allow you to specify what special needs and issues you are open to.
The goal is to have the placement be successful, so you always have the right to say no if it isn't a good fit based on the intake information they give you.
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Erinne
Registered Users

Definitely, and depending on what kind of space you have for the child, an age limit might be set by the state for you. We are only eligible for a child under 1 year because of the size of our apartment, for example. In our state, foster children can share a room with other foster children, but not your biological or adopted children . However, a lot of that can depend on your certifier and the circumstances. Like, if we had a child already in our home, they could make an exception about the size of the room. Good luck!
Erinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
heythereheather
Registered Users

You can also turn down any placement that doesn't seem like a fit for you at the time.
heythereheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
amy17green
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our state requires that we have a bed for them. Newborns are allowed to be in the foster parents' room, but need to have a bed in another room- we had to check on that one.

Don't be afraid if you don't take a placement. We said no to the first one and I was not happy- but it turns out, that child is now almost 4 and still in care- without an end in sight! (this was 2 years ago) There are 3 other siblings involved and 2 are currently in care too. We only have room for 2- so that would have been a problem.

About a month after that call we got a call for our current fd. We are still not at the end, but there is a end in sight. We also welcomed a bio-sib last year- a perfect match for our family. God is GOOD and will bring the right child to you!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all for your help! I'm so glad so many other people do this. I called our Idaho careline yesterday and the lady there sent me some information in e-mail including an application. She said that because I'm due in December, timing would be perfect. She said we could take care of our classes and homestudy and background check etc. before the baby was born and then it would give a couple months after the baby is born for them to process everything so it would give us a couple months to get used to our new baby.

I've wanted to do foster care for a long time and I know it will be challenging but it will bless our lives.

For any that are still reading this post how long did it take from the time you turned in your application to when your first child was placed in your home? What was it like to have a child you weren't used to in your home for the first time?