Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
starstruck444
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Foster Care question

For us it was 7 months. The law says they have to complete licensing in 90 days, but it almost never happens (we are in WA) We actually got our first placement 3 months before my DS was born. She is 7 months old and he is 11 weeks. We get the "You must be busy!" comment all the time and we just say,"yes we are and we love it!"

And in WA they can share a room with Bio children of the opposite sex until the oldest is 6 and the same sex indefinitely and infants can stay in parents bedroom until they are 1.

HTH!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
JayCee33
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here in Oklahoma they say pretty emphatically that each foster child must have their own room, but infants can be in foster parents room until 1. I think they sometimes fudge on that with siblings. Our foster daughters two older sisters share a room at their GP's house where they are placed.
We were a kinship placement, so we had FD#1 before we were actually approved. Another example of fudging a bit on their own rules. Kinship placements are suppose to be either related to child, or having known parent and child before they were removed from the home. In our case FD#1 was already in state custody when we met her, then she needed a new foster home, so we stepped up and said we would take her. It took a month from when we said we would take her for her to come home with us.
I know that regular foster placements usually take much longer.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #13
morninglight88
Registered Users
seller

For any that are still reading this post how long did it take from the time you turned in your application to when your first child was placed in your home? What was it like to have a child you weren't used to in your home for the first time?[/QUOTE]

Don't mind my spelling I have 7 children yelling in my ear right now

We just got our fist placement a few months ago. We did our first interview the day we turned in our app. We were given another stack of papers to fill out. While they got contacted our referances (can't be family). All the wile we attended those PAL classes. Those took 2 4 hour nights and 2 8-10 hour days. Then we had to go see a threapist for a physhological exam once was for the test and then the next was for the appointment to get the results and talk with her. Then the Social worker had to wait 3 weeks for the threapist to send her the results. Then comes the finger prints and crimminal background those takes 4-6 weeks to come back because they run a criminal, Credit and what ever check on you. Then we got the homestudy done that took 6 weeks due to us having to find a time we could all be home and social worker could come out. After the home study it was about a month till we got a call saying they had a placement for 3 siblings 6 months, 2 and 3. We only wanted 2 children max but could not split up sibs. We did not even have the foster parent certificate in the mail yet it came 2 days after the kids did. All in all it was alittle over 6 months from when we turned in our app to when we got kids.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #14
nataliedan
Registered Users
Formerly: withzwenaturallygrow
seller

We are in ontario and currently have 4 foster children and 5 bio children. Here in ontario the bio children and foster children can not share a room unless the worker has given temp. permission to have this situation occur. For example the childs bedroom is flooded and instead of moving placement of the child they agree that sharing a room is lesser of two evils.
Also here you can specify what age group, what presenting issues you are willing to handle and which you might not feel up to.
I know that the process took us almost 7 months to complete and that was a fast process. Don't feel discouraged as it's super rewarding to our family and the children we take. We are 3 child and youth workers here in the house and knew the rolls pretty well and still things get hopping sometimes. Super rewarding tho. Good luck
nataliedan is offline   Reply With Quote