Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
clongworth
Registered Users

Home interview on Thursday.....any advice?

JUst found out the home interview is Thursday and all three home visits must be complete by the 26th (trying for custody grandaughter in fostercare in another state) so I am all of a sudden NERVOUS............any advice from those of you who have been thru this process?

Advertisement

clongworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home interview on Thursday.....any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongworth View Post
JUst found out the home interview is Thursday and all three home visits must be complete by the 26th (trying for custody grandaughter in fostercare in another state) so I am all of a sudden NERVOUS............any advice from those of you who have been thru this process?

Don't be nervous. Be yourself. The social worker doing the interview is on your side and wants you to get custody. Good Luck and Relax.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
mama2liam
Registered Users
seller

Don't be nervous I was the same way and when the interview came, it was pretty laid back and I had no idea why I'd been so freaked out about it in the first place! Just be yourself and things will fall into place.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
dmagsam
Registered Users
seller

I agree--be yourself and try to relax as much as possible. Just be honest, open, and let them see that you are a wonderful person with good intentions. Good Luck!
dmagsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
JenS
Registered Users

My Mood:

The safety audit isn't a white glove test. They want to see that the child will be in a safe enviornment. Practical advice - make sure your smoke detectors are in working order and located on each floor of your home, you need a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and have a tornado plan (just be able to tell them what you do if it happens)

Expect to be asked a lot of questions, but it is really easy, just sort of your life story. relax, relax, relax. I've been through 3 different homestudies with 3 different SW's so far and it has never been a nail biter.
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
clongworth
Registered Users

Thanks Ladies I'm sure I'll totally relax when it is all over but your respons es have helped a BUNCH!
clongworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
heythereheather
Registered Users

I agree- relax. I was nervous, too, but it was really really easy. There were two things our licensing worker wanted us to change, but we just had to do it, take a picture, email it to her, and we were licensed.
heythereheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
juclark77
Registered Users

I was really terrified before our interview, but it wasn't bad at all. Some good advice I got was to not try too hard to be a "perfect family". If you don't admit to anything less than perfect, the social workers may peg you as a liar. On the other hand, my adoption worker told me not to volunteer anything that wasn't asked, as it could be used against you. We got to look over our homestudy and dispute anything we didn't like in it. We didn't dispute anything because it made us sound even better than we think we are!
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote