Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #11
aschrimp
Registered Users

Re: Don't reuse Madela pumps?

I always figured that if you'd be comfortable with a particular person kissing your baby, you'd probably be within the realm of safety to share a breastpump (even a non-closed system pump) with them. The risk is similar.

Advertisement

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMegan View Post
I used a Medela PIS with DS and I would get distracted and overflow bottles, and I did see milk go through the tubes into the area the tubes connect-- that's what makes it iffy-- the Ameda is the only one approved for use by more than one person.

That said I gave one of my PIS that got little use before I stopped pumping with DS (PIS aren't meant for exclusive pumping over long term this was the 3rd) to a 15 year old mom who was wanting to keep BFing and pump during school-- she got all new parts from WIC with a hand pump. She's used it for 6 months now.
Im just jealous you could overflow a bottle LOL

even when baby was like 6 months,i could only ump about 1 oz total in 20 min doing both breasts... I dream of that milk supply LOL
Old 10-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
suziraye
Registered Users
seller

My mom bought my pump at a yard sell. My sister used it and then I did. My mom actually bought 2 at a yard sale.
suziraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually I doubt they are worried about HepC or HIV transmission from a used pump. Viruses just don't survive long outside of the human body.

Quote:
In order to obtain data on the survival of HIV, laboratory studies have required the use of artificially high concentrations of laboratory-grown virus. Although these unnatural concentrations of HIV can be kept alive under precisely controlled and limited laboratory conditions, CDC studies have showned that drying of even these high concentrations of HIV reduces the number of infectious viruses by 90 to 99 percent within several hours. Since the HIV concentrations used in laboratory studies are much higher than those actually found in blood or other specimens, drying of HIV- infected human blood or other body fluids reduces the theoretical risk of environmental transmission to that which has been observed--essentially zero.
By the time you used a used pump, it would have dried.
ravenonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
garjul
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
Actually I doubt they are worried about HepC or HIV transmission from a used pump. Viruses just don't survive long outside of the human body.

By the time you used a used pump, it would have dried.
I just wanted to share what I learned in class I would be more worried about Hep over HIV since you need a much higher concentration of HIV to get infected anyhow. But in all likelihood with all these worries, it's a rare occurance.
garjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know There's just SO much information out there it's hard to get it all in one place, KWIM?
ravenonyx is offline   Reply With Quote