Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Have you ever attended the birth of a child, not your own?

My mother and grandmother were there, for the birth of the fourth generation. and DH of course, but other than mine, my Mom had never seen a baby born, and it got me thinking. . .

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
aschrimp
Registered Users

Never been at a birth myself, and it was just me and dh at the birth of my ds (well, and the midwife and labor nurse).

I was thinking with the next one (we will be homebirthing the next) that I might like to invite my mom and SIL, but then I don't like to be touched or talked to or messed with in any way at all when I am in labor (not even by dh), so I am not sure what they would *do*.

I'm worried that if they ended up being just spectators I'd feel self conscious (although I am really not very in general).

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #13
Melissa
Banned
seller

I have been to 4 besides my own and another coming in Dec.
3 were my nephews and one was my BFs kid. The next will be my BFs also.

I had full rooms with all 3 of my kids. With my 2nd even my BIL was there lol he was my videotaper. With the third it was just dh, sis and MIL. With the first it was mom, sis, dh, bf, and my moms bf who is like a 2nd mom to me.

I liked all the distractions lol, kept me busy and not focused on the labor itself.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was there when my friend had her baby, who I now do daycare for. She wanted certain ppl out of the room but not others and when she started pushing she sent everyone out and we waited by the door, but then she said we could come in for the birth and it happened before the nurse could really LET us in but I did see the majority of it from across the room. LOL I haven't seen anyone else's but would love to! My best friend just watched her neice be born 2wks ago and she said she cried. It was really special and she was just so happy. My best friend was there for the birth of my 3rd baby, literally right there holding my leg. LOL
Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 AM   #15
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've seen a few, during my OB rotation in nursing school
My first ever was a 13yo girl, I'll never forget that one.
No one I knew personally though.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 AM   #16
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, but I did have my sister in the room with me when I had DD. She has 2 sons so she was thinking that she would never have a daughter that would let her see give birth. My sister is 14 years older than me so she kinda considers me like a daughter more than a sister. My oldest sister was right outside the room as well, but she wasn't in the delivery room. She is 17 years older than me.

I would have let my mom in there, but she passed away a few years ago.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #17
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

One of my sisters is a single mom and I was the only one with her at the birth of her first baby....she called me in the middle of the night and of I went! It was wierd being the one holding the leg of the woman in labor...it is usually me...lol. Cool experience though...

Nikki
mom to Shea,Anya,Molly,Luke,Noah,Aedan and Lachlan
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #18
TKDMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJo View Post
Nope. When my dd was born 8 yrs ago, it was the first birth my mom had seen. My ds was the second....both my mom and my mil were there. I decided no more Sam and I are going this next one alone. It felt more like they were there for the show than to support me or experience it with me, kwim? That sucked....
I know THAT feeling!!! There were too many people there when my first dd was born, and it was like a circus. I just wanted to crawl into a cave to get away from them!! I should also say, there were too many of the WRONG people there! For my 2nd dd's birth, I had a doula (who is also a friend) and my dh; my mom would've been fine to have there, 'cause she's very good at supporting, but she was taking care of our older dd. I'm going for the same set-up this time, because it worked so well for me last time. As much as people could be supportive, I really need to go internally during labor and birth, and too many people around draw me outside of myself. Sure, in early labor it's probably good to have distractions to keep you from fixating on those light contractions, but once it gets to that point where things heat up, I need to focus.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never have.. and probably never will.. I never would want to, so it would have to be some kind of accident that i was there. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #20
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it was just dh and i ( of course medical personel too) with the birth of dd
with ds, it was mom, aunt, and my cousins the godmothers then of course came my uncle and my cousins husband. dh was deployed when he was born this next time around im planning on it being dh and i only.