Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Need some NIP ideas....

Ok, I nursing my DS, and we do great at home. But when we're in public and I have to pull out my (excuse me to those of you who love these things) stupid BeBe Au Lait/Hooter Hider cover, I just feel like I'm shouting to the world--"Hey, there's a baby sucking on a boob over here!" And then my confidence plummets and it takes forever to get squirmy DS latched on and then he's fanning the cover all over the place. I'm sure it looks like I have a ghost under my cover--except this ghost likes to reveal us both!

I am modest and since being pregnant/nursing, I am (we'll say) bigger than normal in body size and in chest size. Just wearing a t-shirt and pulling it up doesn't work, and neither do shirts like glamourmom tanks -- they are too small in the chest area. I don't want to fork out the money for expensive nursing shirts either, and DS does not like to have his face covered, but if it isn't covered, then my chest can def. be seen!

So, mamas, I need some ideas for how I can nurse more discreetly and confidently in public!

Advertisement

Last edited by glupton; 08-07-2008 at 09:12 AM.
glupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Need some NIP ideas....

I like using slightly larger t-shirts. I would cover DS up until I got him latched (it takes practice) then pull my shirt down to his face and uncover. Sometimes people got flashed (that darn distracted age), but for the most part it worked.

My DD is way too distracted to NIP. She looks at everything!!!!
txmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'm really modest as well. I always wore nursing shirts in public and never used anything else. I don't like the giant bulls' eye targets screaming I'm nursing either. I also loved nursing in changing rooms--but that's totally just me.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
0351wife
Registered Users

i wear 2 shirts a tank that i can pull down and a shirt over it that can be pulled up so nothing shows the shirt that u pull up hides boobage and the one u pull down gets ur boob out 4 baby..hope that make sense...... it works great 4 me

bekah
Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
juclark77
Registered Users

I just nurse with DD in a sling. I pull the side up to cover her face, and no one knows what is happening. Before I got the hang of that, I would wear a shawl and use it to cover up. I actually bought some stretchy jersey fabric and cut it in the shape of my shawl so I could have heavier and lighter ones. Only good for cooler weather though. Not a summer idea.
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
RobertsMomma3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always wear a tank top under my shirt. That way, I can pull up my one thats on top, pull my breast out of my other one and barely anything shows. My stomach is covered by the tank top and the upper part of my breast is covered by the t-shirt, and DS covers the rest.
RobertsMomma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
2moms2IDGs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are kind of expensive but they are about the cutest things ever!

http://www.moboleez.com/

I will tell you I was very embarrassed to NIP at first but I found that the more I did it and the more confident I became the easier it was/is. Both my girls like to pop off and look around and I just keep a diaper in my free hand to cover up with (and catch the spray!) when they pop off.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used a ring sling ALL the time. I'd carry her in it when we were out anyways, so it was super easy to just swich positions and nurse her. I'd use the tail as a cover up. People always said to me "Awww, is the baby sleeping?"
Layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moms2IDGs View Post
These are kind of expensive but they are about the cutest things ever!

http://www.moboleez.com/

I will tell you I was very embarrassed to NIP at first but I found that the more I did it and the more confident I became the easier it was/is. Both my girls like to pop off and look around and I just keep a diaper in my free hand to cover up with (and catch the spray!) when they pop off.
Those are cute! I hadn't seen those before.

But I do think those are better for baby girls imo. I think my DS would look kinda silly!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
carmelita625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Me three on the sling!!! I loved my sling w/DD1. I was just as nervous and shy about NIP till I became a pro at my sling. She can wiggle and kick all she wants and it won't fall off like a blanket. Its been over a year since she weened and I am relearning w/ DD2. It will take a little practice but we'll be cruising the mall with ease in no time! My biggest embarrassment was BFin in front of male friends and family. I got so comfortable w/ the sling I played a great game of poker w/ DH's brother and buddies.

Practice at home, then take it out once you get confident. My .