Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need some NIP ideas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita625 View Post
Me three on the sling!!! I loved my sling w/DD1. I was just as nervous and shy about NIP till I became a pro at my sling. She can wiggle and kick all she wants and it won't fall off like a blanket. Its been over a year since she weened and I am relearning w/ DD2. It will take a little practice but we'll be cruising the mall with ease in no time! My biggest embarrassment was BFin in front of male friends and family. I got so comfortable w/ the sling I played a great game of poker w/ DH's brother and buddies.

Practice at home, then take it out once you get confident. My .
I have tried with a ring sling and just can't quite get it to work. Do you have any tips for making it easier? Also, what kind of tops do you wear to nurse discreetly with a RS?

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got a men's tank top and cut slits over the boob area and wear a tee on top of that. Works great. Either that or a Motherhood nursing tee, I think they're $15-ish.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glupton View Post
I have tried with a ring sling and just can't quite get it to work. Do you have any tips for making it easier? Also, what kind of tops do you wear to nurse discreetly with a RS?
When I was first figuring it out I would put the sling on loosly, Hold baby where she would normally be if I was holding her, then tighten the sling around her.
Another thing you can try (if you haven't) Is put your baby facing you in the tummy-to-tummy in the sling. Then just slide DS into the cradle position. You may have to do a little adjusting with the tightness of the sling, but not much.
I don't know if that will help or not!

I'd either wear layered shirts, or just pull my shirt down. Sometimes I wore a tub top around my waist under a shirt, so when I pulled my shirt up there was still something covering my waist.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
argecash
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0351wife View Post
i wear 2 shirts a tank that i can pull down and a shirt over it that can be pulled up so nothing shows the shirt that u pull up hides boobage and the one u pull down gets ur boob out 4 baby..hope that make sense...... it works great 4 me

bekah
Same here...but I will ALWAYS go to a hidden area if possible...I'm also still too shy.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsMomma3 View Post
I always wear a tank top under my shirt. That way, I can pull up my one thats on top, pull my breast out of my other one and barely anything shows. My stomach is covered by the tank top and the upper part of my breast is covered by the t-shirt, and DS covers the rest.
this is exactly what I do. BUT my 7 month old now refuses to let HER boobies be covered up at the top so that's sorta out. And she's super duper distractible now. So we find a nice quiet spot usually without many people if possible. I'm not embarrassed really, just tired of fighting her to nurse or cover up or just to speed up the process so my older two aren't wiggling and fighting and getting all irritated with each other.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
carmelita625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best advice for learning to NIP with a ring sling is practice at home A LOT! Try different positions and use them while you clean and eat around the house. The more comfortable you are bending over to pick up around your home the more comfy you will feel stooping to pick up a box on the bottom shelf at the store. I don't stop to nurse anymore. (well except in the car) Specially with a 3yro there isn't time. I shop or whatever with my sling all the time. No one really notices, they probly think shes sleeping.

I love the post about using a tube top around your waist! I can't remember how I covered my waist, thats a great fix! (I think I wore looser shirts and just kept them pulled down in back. IDK )

What kind of sling are you using? I have seen a few in store that claim to be slings but there isn't enough cloth or tail to do any thing but carry a baby in maybe 2 positions, certainly not nurse. Search online for different ways to carry in a sling, maybe you haven't found the right one for you. Also I just got a Moby Wrap, I hear they are much easier to nurse in, though I haven't tried it on yet.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
GraceDancer
when Grace dances, I should dance
seller

My Mood:

I get pretty large when I'm nursing and usually end up having to practically undress to nurse, too. I have never been able to use a sling to nurse - dunno why, just isn't comfortable and can't make it work.

My mom made me some covers like the one you have - one trick I do, is put the cover over my head first (I tied the strap so it's always the right size to go over my head) then when I put my baby under, on the side their head will be, I tuck the cover between my arm and leg, so that it is held tight. The cover is centered over the boobie side they're feeding on, too. Even when they're throwing their hand and arm around, they can't lift the cover that way. I don't let them sit up until I have myself put back together, either. Let them out to burp or to flip sides and repeat the tucking between my arm and leg on the other side.

You know, unless someone has some personal problem with nursing in general - I've found that most people are perfectly fine with these covers in public. I have had so many compliments on mine and wish I'd had one earlier, too. I really think it's a matter of deciding that this IS what is best for baby and since nothing anyone says would make me stop, then this is just life for now - NIP, if I need to. Really, most people don't care and won't even remember that they saw you - it's mostly in our own heads that people are making something of it. What they may remember is your smile and how you love your baby.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
kikkiagouti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

most of my shirts are low cut so I can easily pull my boob out the top and I use to use my Slurp & Burp which is the same concept as wearing a tank top under a t-shirt and pulling the shirt up and tank down. I don't use it very often anymore because I could really careless what people think. I've tried nursing while wearing DS but he hates facing in he has to be facing out or else he gets cranky! Goodluck mama!!

http://www.slurpburp.com/
Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #19
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am bigger as well and bigger up top. In fact I am a DD up top. I have a Target nursing tank for about 17 dollars. I was worried it would be too short and I couldnt tuck it in or the top would be too small. Its not, its so long I can tuck it in and I dont have to wear a bra with it because it does support me up top awesome. I just put a shirt over it, and when I go out I will undo the flap and put the over shirt over the top of my breast and then DD covers the nipple and bottom half. I did this at 2 family reunions, at a bank and at walmart. Not once did anyone look at me funny and DH said he couldnt see a thing.
I had a cover too and my DD hated it. She wouldnt nurse under it because it was covering her face.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #20
fergiesgirl86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have the target ones. i wear them almost everyday, under something if i'm out of the house. i'm a large C nursing, could be a D depending on the top. i'm not a little girl either. 14ish in pants.

motherhood maternity sells bella bands (they work for nursing too!). you could get one of those to cover your waist while your shirt is up nursing. i dont' like my belly being shown either. or a tube top is the same idea under your top shirt. that way shirt goes up and boob gets to baby.

i NIP all of the time. i don't cover DD up because she fights way worse. it's far easier not to cover up... not that i'm not discreet........ there's a diff. i just choose not to put a bulls eye of nursing over my neck/shoulder.

my of course