Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: bi lingual babies?

I absolutely agree with the pp's. We are a bilungual family. My husband is fluent in English/Spanish, but his language of origin is Spanish. He is from Puerto Rico. So, as everyone else has stated, I speak English to my dd and my dh speaks only Spanish. She is 2.5 yrs old and we have been doing it since birth. She totally understands Spanish, but doesn't speak it often. We know she understands it because occasionally she will speak it or she repeats something my dh said in spanish, but she repeats it in English. We can't wait for her to be a completely bilingual adult. I am actually considering starting to teach her sign language as well. Anyone have thoughts on that?

DiapeyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
My Mood:
Re: bi lingual babies?

My son Christian is bi lingual and that was his first language. My husband only know's a few words. But there are certain words we only use in spanish. The other kids know some words, but not enough to carry on an entire conversation.

They do not get confused and it is much easier to start from birth and use mostly to all spanish first. It is enevitable they will pick up english. It is all around us.

Also say everything twice. lol Quieros agua? Do you want some water? Mira la baca! Look at the cow! They will get that you are saying it twice.

My son is so funny, he has learned that when he wants to talk to me and doesn't want the others to know what he is saying he will use spanish.....sneaky trick!! LOL
~Lauri~ Mama of 8 blessings~ wife to Grady~

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote